• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bell housing run out

I have always heard that to much run-out will make your transmission jump out of gear...messes up your input shaft alignment. And there was that happening often , before we found out about checking the bell house and offset dowels........................MO
I used to race 4spds back in the day and never had an issue, or I was too young and dumb to know the difference.

A buddy and I ran a 69 4 speed roadrunner in Super Street using a Lakewood bell and Vertigate shifter in the early 80's. It was sweet. We never even thought about checking the bell housing run outs. Anyways, we got laughed at for even thinking about using a stick car in that class but we laughed last :D

A good 4spd man can get the job done!

Back when I had a running 4spd manual car, when I was fluid and could shift.....

I had a few people ask me what kind of shift kit I had in the car. I just smiled and told them it was a “Left foot express.”
On clown says to me, “How do I know it is really a manual trans car?”

Really? Why I would lie is beyond me! But if you don’t beileve me, then fine. Pay attention when I drive away later.

I knew that something good was going on when I street raced this guy with my 66 Mustang 4 speed back in the 70's. He had a newer mach1 with an auto. Only went part way through 3rd when we both backed out about the same time. I'm crazy but that crazy enough to stay in it no matter what. We pulled into a parking lot to talk and he asked me if the car had a C4 or a C6. My reply was T10 and he didn't believe it and looked in the door window and shook his head after seeing the shifter and then the 3rd pedal lol. Recently drove my nephew's new Mustang Shelby 350 stick and he said drive it like I stole it....so I did :D Looks like I still have what it takes :)

I knew that something good was going on when I street raced this guy with my 66 Mustang 4 speed back in the 70's. He had a newer mach1 with an auto. Only went part way through 3rd when we both backed out about the same time. I'm crazy but that crazy enough to stay in it no matter what. We pulled into a parking lot to talk and he asked me if the car had a C4 or a C6. My reply was T10 and he didn't believe it and looked in the door window and shook his head after seeing the shifter and then the 3rd pedal lol. Recently drove my nephew's new Mustang Shelby 350 stick and he said drive it like I stole it....so I did :D Looks like I still have what it takes :)
Lol, that’s the way!! My youngest had a Stang with a Tremac in it with modified synchros & he said “watch dad with this”; well I ground a little the 1st try so then I went to a 3/4 throttle power shift & he about lost it. I said well if it’s race it oughta be able to handle it!

ok, you guys are about as lost as I am on the vibration. so, anybody here who let's off the gas when shifting is a pussy! carry on.

ok, you guys are about as lost as I am on the vibration. so, anybody here who let's off the gas when shifting is a pussy! carry on.

Lew, count me in if that's the case. Drivetrain parts are expensive and the garage floor is too cold for my old bones...meow lol.

Lew, count me in if that's the case. Drivetrain parts are expensive and the garage floor is too cold for my old bones...meow lol.
are we the "over the hill" gang? I don't have enough energy anymore to change a battery cable, but it's getting warmer here;.. if that counts for anything.

are we the "over the hill" gang? I don't have enough energy anymore to change a battery cable, but it's getting warmer here;.. if that counts for anything.

Well, I'm 72 and I started working Saturdays at my Dad's automobile repair business when I was 12, so I've had a lot of grease under my fingernails for a lot of years. I still have the passion for hot rodding but I'm a bit more selective on what I want to do, somewhat dependent on the weather and what hurts that day...lol.

Well, I'm 72 and I started working Saturdays at my Dad's automobile repair business when I was 12, so I've had a lot of grease under my fingernails for a lot of years. I still have the passion for hot rodding but I'm a bit more selective on what I want to do, somewhat dependent on the weather and what hurts that day...lol.
be 70 in july. I can relate.

this car had the stock flywheel resurfaced and initially drove good. the original bell housing got broke so another '69 bell was found and used during first running. something went goofy when the trans and bell were taken off and then reinstalled.
What broke the bell housing?
Doug

What broke the bell housing?
Doug
drove the car without the factory dust cover, got a rock up in the housing and you can guess the rest. but, this was before rebuild.

Wish I was as smart as you guys. Turned 61 last December and this saturday put a clutch in a 99 Ford Ranger on my back with a floor jack by my self. Still feeling it.
been working on one of my heaps the past two days and i'm almost at the point I've got to quit doing it. muscle aches, poor eyesight, but most of all short patience. and, i'm not smart; just decades of hard lessons.

been working on one of my heaps the past two days and i'm almost at the point I've got to quit doing it. muscle aches, poor eyesight, but most of all short patience. and, i'm not smart; just decades of hard lessons.
If u need bifocals it really is a B—- at times when mechanicing isn’t it? Don’t ask why I know.

Killed my back at an early age but it wasn't too bad until my wife wanted to buy a mom and pop furniture store that mainly did rentals but also had a sales floor. At the time, I was working as a machineass at the refinery plus building engines and rear ends. Hurt my back at work but again, it wasn't too bad but being the grunt delivering furniture was the biggest killer. Handling 80 lb 8 3/4 chunks got a bit tougher too. Several years later dizziness issues started in on me. Most of that is gone now except for whenever I get down on a creeper and then stand back up. Gotta let my head stop spinning then get under the vehicle and do the same thing when getting up.....and the eyes suck now too. Add in some of Mr Arthur Rightous and well, 67 isn't feeling all that great.

If u need bifocals it really is a B—- at times when mechanicing isn’t it? Don’t ask why I know.
I use tri-focals,...lol. one doctor says I have macular degeneration and the other says cataracts; at least ones fixable.

Auto Transport Service
Back