• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bell housing run out

Killed my back at an early age but it wasn't too bad until my wife wanted to buy a mom and pop furniture store that mainly did rentals but also had a sales floor. At the time, I was working as a machineass at the refinery plus building engines and rear ends. Hurt my back at work but again, it wasn't too bad but being the grunt delivering furniture was the biggest killer. Handling 80 lb 8 3/4 chunks got a bit tougher too. Several years later dizziness issues started in on me. Most of that is gone now except for whenever I get down on a creeper and then stand back up. Gotta let my head stop spinning then get under the vehicle and do the same thing when getting up.....and the eyes suck now too. Add in some of Mr Arthur Rightous and well, 67 isn't feeling all that great.

Cranky, if low blood pressure isn't causing the dizziness when you stand up, ask your doctor about Meclizine (25mg chew tab). You chew one a while before going under a car and it really helps with the dizziness. I believe Hemi-itis is a user as well...and heck, don't you know? These are the Golden Years...lol.

drove the car without the factory dust cover, got a rock up in the housing and you can guess the rest. but, this was before rebuild.
I wonder if it bent the input shaft? I would have never believed it to be possible. But I've seen pitman shafts bent. A few years back a friend broke a front u-joint on the x way, 65 mph. Bent the output of a 727 at a 30 degree angle. Did it possibly push one or both of the dowel pins forward through the block? So now the bell housing can move around the bolt holes when it was installed?
Doug

Cranky, if low blood pressure isn't causing the dizziness when you stand up, ask your doctor about Meclizine (25mg chew tab). You chew one a while before going under a car and it really helps with the dizziness. I believe Hemi-itis is a user as well...and heck, don't you know? These are the Golden Years...lol.
BP is good.....could probably try some Bonine? It's worse when I'm on the edge of my allergies etc but years ago the doctor thought that maybe I had an inner ear infection that got it started. Was pretty bad at first.

I use tri-focals,...lol. one doctor says I have macular degeneration and the other says cataracts; at least ones fixable.
Lol, was told 5 yrs ago cataracts were coming(?) oh well ur over 60! My tri-to ale were bottom reading and top for computer while standing 2-3’ away. Actually helped to stop the tilting head back when half-*** close to something. I always put those ‘safety’ tri-focals on when in garage working on the red car!

I wonder if it bent the input shaft? I would have never believed it to be possible. But I've seen pitman shafts bent. A few years back a friend broke a front u-joint on the x way, 65 mph. Bent the output of a 727 at a 30 degree angle. Did it possibly push one or both of the dowel pins forward through the block? So now the bell housing can move around the bolt holes when it was installed?
Doug
don't know about the dowels but i'll be looking for anything wrong when it comes apart. the stone blew a large hole in the bell housing, superficial damage to the pressure plate. the input shaft has more wobble than I thought they normally have but don't see how any debris could get to it. i'm totally stumped at how smooth it drove and then after removing the bell it went crap. perplexing.

don't know about the dowels but i'll be looking for anything wrong when it comes apart. the stone blew a large hole in the bell housing, superficial damage to the pressure plate. the input shaft has more wobble than I thought they normally have but don't see how any debris could get to it. i'm totally stumped at how smooth it drove and then after removing the bell it went crap. perplexing.
Stupid question; but did you make sure the bell input retainer diameter was correct? Several different diameter front bearing retainers.
Doug

been working on one of my heaps the past two days and i'm almost at the point I've got to quit doing it. muscle aches, poor eyesight, but most of all short patience. and, i'm not smart; just decades of hard lessons.
Feeling your pain. I got Carpal tunnel both hands, L 3-4 disc fused with a Titanium plate,bad hip,cant see for ****,on and on. Plus i have been told by many I am an A-Hole. Till I die.

UPDATE: pulled the trans out, fired the engine up and vibration is gone. either trans or bell housing messed up. gave these guys another bellhousing to try so maybe in a couple of days problem may be solved.

Watching this thread vicariously and learning stuff as usual.
I'm only 57 but people are like cars - there's the model year and then there's the mileage. :D
Y'all know my deal with health. Suffice I have a ton of miles on the chassis. I feel your pain,
which is why I have to resort to paying a local shop to swap out my own sickly 4 speed when the new Passon unit shows up
(if it ever does - dude doesn't communicate at all, makes me nervous).
After all the times I've been under the car these last 5 years, I simply can't do it anymore and it pisses me off royal.

All this bellhousing dialing in stuff has me thinking, too. Like some of you have said, I never gave it a thought over the years.
Stuff just got bolted up and it worked.
This one, the transmission fought some to make it that last little bit into the bronze bushing in back of the crank, to the point
I had to "help" it a little - of course, this was with the engine on a hoist and out of the car, so it was like wrestling alligators.
Wound up starting a couple of mounting bolts to help guide it in, the applying gentle pressure via snugging opposite bolts until
it just popped in there of its' own accord.
Car shifts and drives very nicely, so I figured it had to be in the ballpark.
If not for that damn noise it has developed...oh well.

no solution has been found in the vibration. guy basically quit on it for awhile. did find a lot of wobble in the input shaft. enough wobble to cause the mainshaft to move up and down. will be getting back on it later. looks likes a $$$ thing to me.

Watching this thread vicariously and learning stuff as usual.
I'm only 57 but people are like cars - there's the model year and then there's the mileage. :D
Y'all know my deal with health. Suffice I have a ton of miles on the chassis. I feel your pain,
which is why I have to resort to paying a local shop to swap out my own sickly 4 speed when the new Passon unit shows up
(if it ever does - dude doesn't communicate at all, makes me nervous).
After all the times I've been under the car these last 5 years, I simply can't do it anymore and it pisses me off royal.

All this bellhousing dialing in stuff has me thinking, too. Like some of you have said, I never gave it a thought over the years.
Stuff just got bolted up and it worked.
This one, the transmission fought some to make it that last little bit into the bronze bushing in back of the crank, to the point
I had to "help" it a little - of course, this was with the engine on a hoist and out of the car, so it was like wrestling alligators.
Wound up starting a couple of mounting bolts to help guide it in, the applying gentle pressure via snugging opposite bolts until
it just popped in there of its' own accord.
Car shifts and drives very nicely, so I figured it had to be in the ballpark.
If not for that damn noise it has developed...oh well.
patience and money; that's all it takes,....lol.

I gotta wonder how much "indexing" is possible just from the play in the mounting bolt holes of the bellhousing?

I gotta wonder how much "indexing" is possible just from the play in the mounting bolt holes of the bellhousing?
There are the guiding alignment dowels in the block into the bell house which does not allow movement in the bellhouse holes ( snug fit). Offset ( eccentric) dowels are available to move the belhouse in any direction needed for proper alignment. There is an allowable tolerance. I didn't know about this many years ago, and now realize that could have been some of the problems with my 4 speeds. I had to put offset dowels in my 64 Dodge to get into tolerance ................MO

And, yes, there is enough 'slop' in the bellhousing mounting holes to allow movement for the offset dowel eccentrics. We're talking moving it a few to several thousandths. Whatever the error is, you'll be dividing it by 2 to center the housing.

Auto Transport Service
Back