• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Belvedere II

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. A friend of mine had a car like yours, but with A/C. It was a dark blue Silver Special. He eventually painted it silver. Another friend had a dark green Silver Special, and bought repro Silver Special seat upholstery set from Legendary Interiors. He also bought a repro Silver Special vinyl top from them. It was silver and charcoal like the seat material. This was maybe 15 - 20 years ago. You could also try S & S Fabrics in Oregon.

Hartz is the only auto topping fabric manufacturer left as far as I know. In the mid 2000's they started reducing the number of colors offered due to lack of demand. I only know this because of having installed tops for 28 years. Good luck finding what you're looking for.
https://www.dltcorporation.com/category_s/36.htm
I seem to remember that it was probably a Levant grain

Thanks. Trying to figure out whether it was supposed to be the Levant or boar grain (they switched at some point in '67) is how I figured out the color was supposed to be silver. In the end I may just go with black. From the pictures I've seen, the "silver" top is pretty dark.

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. A friend of mine had a car like yours, but with A/C. It was a dark blue Silver Special. He eventually painted it silver. Another friend had a dark green Silver Special, and bought repro Silver Special seat upholstery set from Legendary Interiors. He also bought a repro Silver Special vinyl top from them. It was silver and charcoal like the seat material. This was maybe 15 - 20 years ago. You could also try S & S Fabrics in Oregon.

Yes, I've seen that Legendary has that material. I plan on getting a set to put aside for the future. I've seen Silver Specials in several colors, although silver seems to be the most common. My car is an A/C car as well, I was pretty surprised to see it still on the car.

Welcome from Missouri!!

The "silver" in "silver special" is the interior.

It's black and silver but looks very similar to the dark blue/light silvery blue interior option.

If you have a build sheet/broadcast sheet it will have "SILVER SPL" in the margin.

My 4 door parts car is a silver special. White, no vinyl top, 225 six cyl with AC. and of course the black and white interior, partial broadcast sheet.

...and I am fairly sure the "5" under the "y" on the 67 tag tells what color the vinyl is.

Found this on moparts-

7833738-SilverSpecial.jpg

No idea of credibility.

Note the vinyl top section says nothing about color. Only "texture".

Silver Special cars also got the GTX style sill and wheel well moldings.

Welcome from Southern Maryland!

Yes...for those not from here, the locals distinguish Northern from Southern in this small state.

...and I am fairly sure the "5" under the "y" on the 67 tag tells what color the vinyl is.
Yes, all I was getting from the decoders was "unknown". Y6 is black and Y7 is white. It was someone else on this forum who indicated Y5 is silver. I found video of a barn find Silver Special and took a screenshot of a close-up on the top, which the owner claimed to be the original "silver" top. These things all look like a very dark grey or lighter black to me, but maybe it's clearer in person.

I don't know that it's the exact same material, but this "silver cast" reproduction material is used on the Silver Special seats, and has a silverish sheen to it. Legendary seems to have an in-stock NOS top also described as "silver cast" so maybe it's the same.

Screenshot 2022-05-10 234212.png F198652793.jpg

All I can find is black and white-

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1967PlymouthColorAndTrim-02.shtml

Do we know the silver special was a mid-year package?

There should be some documentation in the form of addendums and inserts.

This is the Belvedere line brochure for '67, no mention of the Silver Special:
http://www.motorologist.com/wp-content/uploads/1967-Plymouth-Belvedere-brochure.pdf

There's some promotional literature as well, but I think this was perhaps aimed at dealers:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1967-plymouth-belvedere-silver-1903851392

you should really start a Members Build/restoration thread
in the appropriate other forum/s on FBBO
you will get more responses & help too
the welcome wagon is mostly just for intros,
sharing a few photos & background,
not really a Q&A or tech forum section
& there's nowhere near as many viewers here

good luck

Yes, all I was getting from the decoders was "unknown". Y6 is black and Y7 is white. It was someone else on this forum who indicated Y5 is silver. I found video of a barn find Silver Special and took a screenshot of a close-up on the top, which the owner claimed to be the original "silver" top. These things all look like a very dark grey or lighter black to me, but maybe it's clearer in person.

I don't know that it's the exact same material, but this "silver cast" reproduction material is used on the Silver Special seats, and has a silverish sheen to it. Legendary seems to have an in-stock NOS top also described as "silver cast" so maybe it's the same.

View attachment 1283847 View attachment 1283848
That is Levant grain

Auto Transport Service
Back