• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bending brake lines, ughhh...

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:30 PM
Reaction score
I've gone thru 18 feet of stainless line and I got so pissed off that I ended up making the 1 line into 2 pieces and used a iff coupling to connect them. I do not like this at all, so does anyone have any advice, or willing to help me out if you live in the Central Valley, gas and lunch is on me if you come over. I dont think that will happen, so I'll order more stainless and try again.

You having issues Kinking the lines 5.7, or a fit up problem? A line forming plyers or tube bender will make it 100 times easier if you're not using them. Eastwood has them, but amazon or google will find you the same thing for a bunch cheaper..

good luck with your project!

I have the kit from Eastwood, bender and pliers, so kinking isn't the problem. The problem is trying to bend a 6ft. piece, making all the bends in the right spot, so that I have 1 piece that goes from the drivers side to the passenger side. I have done it in 2 3ft. sections with the 3/4 iff coupling in the middle, looks like **** in my opinion. I really want a single line for looks and 1 less possible place for a leak. What I have is not bad, just isn't that fancy, might have to settle for function over form.

I'm sure by now you have spent more than if you had just ordered one from Finelines, or one of the other places that have them made up for our cars.

When I bought my car it came with all the lines from them and for the most part they worked out good.

Just make sure if you order any from one of these places that you explain to them in addition to year, make, model, also explain in detail any and all modifications the application has.

I see in one of your pics you have the proportion valve mounted in about the same spot as I did mine.

I feel your frustrations.

Do you like the fit and the routing of your "ugly" line? If you do, just use that as the pattern for the new single line you bend. If not, get a piece of welding rod and bend it how you like it and then use that for the template. It's what I do.

Attachments

• vaca cars dinga 096.jpg
    vaca cars dinga 096.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 358
I just replaced front and back brakelines and didn't want to mess with the headache of getting them fitted right so I ordered mine from FineLine. They fit real nice. I was done with the whole braking system in an hour. I only had to do a little tweaking on one of the fitting ends but it was super easy. I was very happy that I spent the little extra and saved my blood pressure.

I know it sucks that you spent money already but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. It will be well worth it.

I can vouch for finelines as well, but sometimes you want to do it yourself.

Using the welding rod or any bendable wire to make a pattern will really help. I just did that for a small fuel pump to carb line and it pretty much went right in.

I think that I'll order another 6ft. piece and use the crappy 2 piece as a template as mentioned above. It's not a big deal to do again, it's just not on top of my list as one of the things that I like to do over and over again (catch my drift). I'll call fineline, inline and classic to see who has the best price and go from there. Thanks fellas, I feel the pressure in my eye getting lower already,lol!

I'm gonna get a straight piece so I cut down the chances of leaks.

Just ordered from inlinetube, the friggin' shipping for one piece was more than the 6ft. brake line, what a joke!! Oh well not much I can do about it.

Bending any kind of tube isn't all that easy and takes some practic...the more you do it, the better you get. And shipping anything these days isn't cheap.

Read this with alot of interest, cause that part is coming soon. I'm an electrician, and I bend 1/2" emt, to 4" rigid pipe all the time. I will be SOOO pissed if I cant do brake lines!

This what I ended up with, a 2 piece line. After some thought, this will make a great pattern for the 1 piece tube that will get here next week.

That's a really nice job. And yeah, just use that two piece line as a template, you'll be just fine.

I bent up the lines for my rearend - I feel your pain. There is an art to that kind of thing - and the more you do it the better. I did it twice - LOL. The second set is working ok, but still not too pretty. Luckily it isn't seen by most people. I'll probably do it over again some time to try to make it better. Yours look decent to me.

That engine bay look stellar 5.7. The color just knocks it out of the park. Brake lines came out pretty damn nice.

I bent the new 1 peice line and got it installed, looks alright. Once the eng/trans goes in most of it will be hard to see, also the ac hoses and wiring to headlights/fans/horns will "swallow up" the drivers side, but in a tasteful manner....I hope!!!! I'll get pics of the new line posted tomorrow.

Heres the new 1 peice brake line.

Attachments

• 01212011 001.jpg
    01212011 001.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 259
Auto Transport Service
Back