• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best cam kit for smogger 340

PettyBlue340

Local time
2:14 AM
Reaction score
Finally getting my 73 runner back from body/paint and want to juice it up a little more..
I installed a eddy performer rpm and demon 650 last year and that woke it up plenty..now I'm thinking headers and cam.

I like the hughes whiplash cam but I'd rather buy a complete kit so I don't need to buy springs lifters etc. separately

Comp makes nice kits but I'm looking for advice on what size cam to go for

Stock 73 340 1.88 heads 727 3.55 gears

Next year I'll probably swap the heads too..

Your biggest concern should be the low compression. You might look into an Edelbrock cam package since you have the manifold. I put one of those in a 352 Ford in an F250 and it ran great! Made 160 PSI of cranking pressure and plenty of power to tow a car.

I see nothing wrong with this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-1798/

Ground on a 112, it will have good manners, run power brakes and idle in traffic all day. Summit also sells all the accessories to go along with it. Remember, Crane grinds for Summit, so you're getting a quality product. I would say that cam is a step above the factory 340. The single pattern lends itself well to headers.

Keep the duration short and under [email protected] and look for more
Exhaust duration to help the engine breath better. A centerline of 112-114 will help driveabilty. And more likely keep the compressor up. It's all in the timing events of the cam.

I see nothing wrong with this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-1798/

Ground on a 112, it will have good manners, run power brakes and idle in traffic all day. Summit also sells all the accessories to go along with it. Remember, Crane grinds for Summit, so you're getting a quality product. I would say that cam is a step above the factory 340. The single pattern lends itself well to headers.

Looks very, very similar to the ol' Comp .480 lift cam that was recommended for our original 8.5:1 CR 440 years ago. Very docile camshaft, but it would run very nice with your package. Look at the summit racing 1 5/8" headers for around $130-$140 for your 340. Fitment honestly was very good on my 440 with straight plugs with the larger primary tube set, put them on my edelbrock heads and the fitment was even better with the angled plugs.

Looks very, very similar to the ol' Comp .480 lift cam that was recommended for our original 8.5:1 CR 440 years ago. Very docile camshaft, but it would run very nice with your package. Look at the summit racing 1 5/8" headers for around $130-$140 for your 340. Fitment honestly was very good on my 440 with straight plugs with the larger primary tube set, put them on my edelbrock heads and the fitment was even better with the angled plugs.

The Comp cam is slightly more aggressive and 2* tighter on the C-line.

There is a problem with your recommendation on header. His small block has very different header. Those one size fits all units are dicey on quality and fitment. While I myself had a good fit of those headers on my 73 Cuda, the exact same part number header is also for nearly all small block Apps and fit poorly on my 73 Duster. Major hammer use was needed.

The only headers I have come across that worked/fit well
OOTB were the Hooker Super Comp's.
Tti has a excellent rep as well.

The Comp cam is slightly more aggressive and 2* tighter on the C-line.

There is a problem with your recommendation on header. His small block has very different header. Those one size fits all units are dicey on quality and fitment. While I myself had a good fit of those headers on my 73 Cuda, the exact same part number header is also for nearly all small block Apps and fit poorly on my 73 Duster. Major hammer use was needed.

The only headers I have come across that worked/fit well
OOTB were the Hooker Super Comp's.
Tti has a excellent rep as well.

I was just posting for 'budget' concerns. If he has the cash to dish out for TTI's then that is the route he should take. I didn't look up any specs, just noticed the duration and lift. Should work well in his 340. I would have looked at a Mopar Purple shaft, but most are too aggressive for his setup other than the .474 and below. No banging necessary on my install. TTI's are just a little out of my price range personally, would rather bang up a tube or two and lose 2-3hp and save $400. Just me though!

Caint beat the wide LSA for a street motor. Talk about a BROAD torque curve. That's why most hot factory engines were 114 or 115 from Chrysler. I'll give up some peakyness and lope any day of the week for a good, wide torque band in a daily driver.

Everyone has their own personal preference, but that is why I didn't suggest the .484 with the 108LSA. 110LSA is very easy going in my opinion, and I feel for a muscle car you should have that 'muscle car' sound.

Everyone has their own personal preference, but that is why I didn't suggest the .484 with the 108LSA. 110LSA is very easy going in my opinion, and I feel for a muscle car you should have that 'muscle car' sound.

You'll get no agruement from me. That's why I threw out two decent choices.

I was just posting for 'budget' concerns. If he has the cash to dish out for TTI's then that is the route he should take. I didn't look up any specs, just noticed the duration and lift. Should work well in his 340. I would have looked at a Mopar Purple shaft, but most are too aggressive for his setup other than the .474 and below. No banging necessary on my install. TTI's are just a little out of my price range personally, would rather bang up a tube or two and lose 2-3hp and save $400. Just me though!

Agreed.

A big heavy car with low compression, keep the cam small. What size rear tire are you running ?

I would look at the Comp Cams XE256 or 262 or the Voodoo equivalent.

Auto Transport Service
Back