• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam shaft.

Agreed it looks my 268 is OK but can't more duration and lift be beneficial. To my build 62 and still learning, I guess I should off put down the bubeis.

Bubeis????

More duration just pushes up the rpm band. In the upper portion, HP will increase. I can’t say for sure down low.

More lift is always good IMO, if it takes advantage of the air flow of the cylinder head. If. The head doesn’t flow more air @.600 than it does at the max of lets just say .490, what’s the point?!?!

Also, the amount of overlap the cam has is directly related to the rpm band. For a hot street car, somewhere over 50*’s to about 70/75*’s of overlap is a good area. More overlap the higher the range in rpm’s.

If you liked the rpm range of a certain cam but your looking for a smidge more, increase the lift. Intake manifold & Cylinder head flow also help a lot as well much like a larger carburetor.

So, if your at a max limitation of the camshaft, look to your intake track starting from the air cleaner, carb and cylinder head port flow. There can be a good chunk of power with better breathing in and out. I followed this thought path on the wife’s 360 by using the TF heads and TTI exhaust dispite the small hyd roller cam.
The top end really sings now vs the other cylinder heads I had prior on it being OOTB Edelbrock and Promaxx CNC ported chink casting knock offs. Which are very good heads.

Going from a 600 to a 750 was noticeable for sure. Mileage hasn’t suffered, bottom end hasn’t suffered ether.

My 73 Challenger has a Crane hyd roller very simalar to post #9. 360, 9.0-1, ported factory heads with 2.02, TTI headers and exhaust system, LD340 intake, 650 Holly DP. 4 speed 2.47 1st, stock springs and shocks, pinion snuber. With 3.55 and 275 drag radial it's been 12.70s@109. With a 4.30 and slicks it's been 12.50s@110. Always thru full exhaust with the airfilter in place. Runs on 87 octane. Though when raced we run 93 just in case. 99% street car. drives great. Even managed 18mpg using a 2.76 gear on a long trip.
Doug

Last edited:
I got a hold on a engine. Builder I used on my old 69 Dart ,he is going to degree the camshaft,he told me to get a 3 key way sprocket,don't want to sound like a dummy on the phone when ordering,so could someone help what's good out there.thanks again.Don.

I got a hold on a engine. Builder I used on my old 69 Dart ,he is going to degree the camshaft,he told me to get a 3 key way sprocket,don't want to sound like a dummy on the phone when ordering,so could someone help what's good out there.thanks again.Don.
THese are good ones. Edelbrock Performer-Link True Roller Timing Chain Set See the 3 slots in the crank gear. (small gear) That's what you need. If you want to read up on the subject, Karl wrote this and it contains a lot of good info. How to Rebuild a Small Block Part 10A (Optional): Timing Chain Options

The older Chrysler V6 is a 318 minus 2 cylinders. I had that V6 in my 2003 Dakota. Same timing chain for a sb V8.

My 73 Challenger has a Crane hyd roller very simalar to post #9. 360, 9.0-1, ported factory heads with 2.02, TTI headers and exhaust system, LD340 intake, 650 Holly DP. 4 speed 2.47 1st, stock springs and shocks, pinion snuber. With 3.55 and 275 drag radial it's been 12.70s@109. With a 4.30 and slicks it's been 12.50s@110. Always thru full exhaust with the airfilter in place. Runs on 87 octane. Though when raced we run 93 just in case. 99% street car. drives great. even managed 18mpg using a 2.76 gear on a long trip.
Doug
Nice!

I hit that link it says v6
Look closer.
1706550020460.png

There are small diameter degree wheels. IDK if you can get the MP who anymore, but it’s small.

Summit has a bunch. THey start out at about 6". The bigger they are,the easier they are to use and easier to be accurate with.

You can use your harmonic dampener as a degree wheel........

Auto Transport Service
Back