• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Cordless Impact?

Another recommendation for Milwaukee. We use them in the machine shop I work at. Dust, dropped on concrete floors, nothing seems to kill them. I bought some for myself. A 1/2” chuck hammer drill, a 1/2” impact gun, and a 90 degree angle drill. What I would have come home with back in the 80’s junkyards,had I one of those impact guns!
Oh man. Part pulling maniac. Add a good saws all to cut unwanted crap out of the way?

It would have been beautiful.

Thanks all. Looks like Milwaukee for the win!
Good choice. Be careful with it. I have the 1/2" Fuel. Bolt breaking ************* and I don't mean breaking loose.
Setting 2 when tightening things is around 300 pounds. Setting 3 breaks ****. The bigger the battery in it the better.

I still use my old dewalt with a milwaukee battery adapter it is the old 18v but has the power I always need but alway use a breaker bar and torque wrench after no matter what

I have the bolt busting/annihilation m18 fuel 1/2 drive milwaukee for heavy duty nut busting.
Only one thing that it would not bust loose, but I was not the operator. It was a seized on nut that If I remember correctly was on the gangs of the chisel plow.

I also use the milwaukee fuel m18 Sawzall alot. I got a 8ah battery for that. Was not cheap but lasts alot longer.

I want to pickup a smaller m18 fuel 3/8 drive nut buster for lighter work.

I do use a dewalt drill for disassembling appliances for scrap which is mostly screws.

I have the big Makita its a hoss. It’s probably a bit behind the Milwaukee’s we have at work. I suspect it’s mostly a better battery in the Milwaukee.

I have been pretty happy with our Milwaulee M18fuel 1/2" impact.. Sometimes It surprises me what it can do. Other times it surprises me what it can't. We first had a Dewalt, the battery went bad after a few years. It was not as powerful and it eventually vibrated apart...but that was years ago and hard to compare. I have had a few Milwaukee batteries go bad as well, they are not cheap. But I would buy all of my Milwaukee power tools again. I have worn several out.
My favorite is the Milwaukee 4 1/2" M18 grinder! It and the impact get used daily!

Last edited:
Agree that Milwaukee is probably the King. However, I have used a DeWalt DCF899H for 6 or 7 Years and it has been trouble free. Basically boils down to what battery commitment you want to make. I had other Dewalt tools and lots of batteries so my decision was easy.
BTW the 4 port Dewalt quick charger (DCB104) while pricy has been well worth the cost. Batteries charge in about 1/4 of the time it takes for a regular charger. I also use the 20v/60v 9ah batteries on my larger tools and it seems to last forever.

Agree that Milwaukee is probably the King. However, I have used a DeWalt DCF899H for 6 or 7 Years and it has been trouble free. Basically boils down to what battery commitment you want to make. I had other Dewalt tools and lots of batteries so my decision was easy.
BTW the 4 port Dewalt quick charger (DCB104) while pricy has been well worth the cost. Batteries charge in about 1/4 of the time it takes for a regular charger. I also use the 20v/60v 9ah batteries on my larger tools and it seems to last forever.
I sold DeWalt for years with good luck.

I have been using the ryobi 1/2" impact for over a year now, and it does everything I have tried so far.
ie. lug nuts, axle nuts, misc
have not tried on backhoe yet
I know, everyone beats up ryobi stuff, but so far, all the ryobi have been good to me, I usem and abusem. got it new for little over a hundie on ebay
the impact with a large battery works fine for me.

I've been a Makita guy for years. Can't compare it to anything else because I've never had anything else. The damn things won't break!

I believe whichever one you decide to buy will be fine. I also believe most are just as good as the other ( not counting off brand stuff) I have quite a collection off different brands, bought Dewalt, Milwaukee, ryobi, etc. back when they came with batteries. Mine bet used and abused, they are all still working. I prefer the Dewalt, just for the fact they are more comfortable to handle (for me anyway) bigger battery,(20V) good chargers, and have had no problems with them at all. My brother says stay away from ryobi that’s what he has, and says although they are nice for small things, they just don’t have the power needed for bigger jobs.

I'm a corded Milwaukee man since 1972. But I don't have any battery Milwaukee tools.
My only battery tools are Kobalt 3/8, 1/2 impact and a driver. They were given to me. They are good tools and handy as can be. Plenty of power for light work. I take them on the road when I travel.
But all this talk about how a 1/2 battery impact will take off anything in the universe? Don't kid yourself.
If you have a 125 psi or more compressor, then you should have 3/4- and 1-inch pneumatic impacts. That's when you will know what bang for the buck nut busting power is.
They're the magic wands for my backhoe, dozer and motor grader.
One of my good friends tried three 1-inch battery Milwaukee impacts. They got the job done. But they cost a "lot" of money and couldn't take the abuse the air impacts do. They don't like hammering on a nut for a long period of time to get it off.
In the garage at home, I use the 1/2 air and spare the electric tools.
The battery stuff is good, but you'll pay for it in the long run. I've been using the same air wrenches for three decades.

Looking to invest in a cordless impact 1/2”. Have Ryobi stuff but looking for something more solid. What is your experience and recommendations?
TIA
I work at a CAT Dealer (lotsa heavily torqued big nuts & bolts) and ALL our techs use the Milwaukee Fuel products.
It’s their choice on what to use, and more often than not they choose Milwaukee. Just my $.02

When it comes to cordless, I'm totally into Milwaukee as well. I used to have so many different brands of battery and corded tools and now it's just Milwaukee and they haven't let me down. As for Ryobi, they and Milwaukee are owned by the same company; Techtronic Industries Company Limited. This is a Hong Kong company and of course the build a lot of stuff in China but also in other parts of the world. Ryobi has an American factory but Milwaukee has three in Mississippi and employs hundreds in that state.

The only defect I've had so far was a Milwaukee 18v charger that stopped working in the warranty period, and when I took it back they gave me a new one.

All my newer cordless stuff is from Lowes...

I had Milwaukee tools for years but so did my friends and kids and my stuff disappeared too often.

Now nobody steals my stuff and I like the Lowes tools.

Auto Transport Service
Back