• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best headers without breaking the bank?

mike rotch

Local time
6:19 AM
Reaction score
I have a 72 RR with an 440 and would like to replace the factory manifolds with headers. I’ve been looking at mid length and full length headers. It’s a street car with a mild cam so I don’t necessarily need maximum performance. I’ve gone down a rabbit hole and cannot decide on which headers to get that won’t break the bank but also have a decent track record of fitting decently without having to go overboard with banging them up or modifying.

Fitting without banging on them and low cost don't necessarily jive. With the low deck big block in a 71-72 B body, I have installed Hooker Competitions with zero modifications before, but that was also 20 years ago.... so, no guarantees. If you are gonna buy cheap headers, buy them painted black for maximum savings. There nothing worse than paying for coated headers and then having to smash them with a hammer!

Hookers.
Put a little dent, if you need to.
Don't get shorty headers. Stay with the shitty manifolds if you're thinking about it.

I have long tube headers on my 66 Belvedere/440 and as soon as I get the proper parts purchased the headers are going in the scrap. I have had a belly full of dropping the drivers side header to replace or repair anything on that side. If you have a street cruiser that will rarely see 5,000 rpm then headers are a waste of money.
If you're going for a look or a louder exhaust note then maybe headers are for you.
And by the way, my system will have electric cutouts so when I drop in at the local cruise in they will know I arrived.

Hookers.
Put a little dent, if you need to.
Don't get shorty headers. Stay with the shitty manifolds if you're thinking about it.
I’ll probably run with the hookers after doing some more research. My plan was to re use the manifolds that were on it but after pulling them to put new gaskets on for an exhaust leak I found the driver side manifold has a pretty large crack in it. So I’d rather get headers for better performance, sound, and looks than spend about the same on a set of manifolds.

I used to run the oldie, Headman. That will date me. They worked great for cheap! I'm thinking that the big tube sizes are just wrong in the typical application. A 1 1/2 tube will carry all the exhaust that any real-world engine cylinder will puff out. My opinion, others will differ.

Happy with Hooker ceramic - been good to me and reasonable cost.

I just bought a set of Hedman Super Competition headers to replace a set I bought in 1988. They finally rusted out. Talk about dating yourself....

bry

One would think after these cars are 50-60+ years old. Hooker and Hedman are just as old they could be making headers that actually fit these cars by now with dinging multiple tubes to make them fit????

Flow Tech

Breaking the bank is relative I suppose. If you put a set of Hedman's or Hookers on you just as well beat them closed on the bottom with a hammer after installation. They hang way to low. Or you could just let a speed bump do it. You will probably need the hammer to beat the **** out them for installation as well.
First pick, TTI, second pick, Doug's.

I sometimes wonder how people drive with "hanging down" headers that smash them all up. I've been driving cars with full length headers for 50 years, have yet to smash the bottom tubes up real bad. A little road rash yeah, but certainly never bad enough to remotely need a replacement.

Then again, I don't drive hoppers, or low riders. ( I do routinely hit our local street speed bumps at 60 mph, but that's in a diesel pickup with ground clearance.)

Doug's :thumbsup: Yep......

20230426_141458.jpg

I sometimes wonder how people drive with "hanging down" headers that smash them all up. I've been driving cars with full length headers for 50 years, have yet to smash the bottom tubes up real bad. A little road rash yeah, but certainly never bad enough to remotely need a replacement.

Then again, I don't drive hoppers, or low riders. ( I do routinely hit our local street speed bumps at 60 mph, but that's in a diesel pickup with ground clearance.)
You don't live in Michigan.......

I've never smashed up the headers either, that's really only applicable to drivers side of smallblocks with headmans etc.
They REALLY get smashed.

I've never smashed up the headers either, that's really only applicable to drivers side of smallblocks with headmans etc.
They REALLY get smashed.
In that case, I'd fab a skid plate to protect the headers on that side, that would also protect a deep oil pan too.

Auto Transport Service
Back