• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

best heads for max wedge engine

POMONAMISSEL

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
well i'm building a big inch wedge with a max wedge intake for my 63 ply , i have a couple different max wedge intakes , a couple stage 2's and one of mp new ones . i have a pair of ported mw stage 6's , not sure if there enough for a big inch motor (540ish) with a 7.1 rod , so what heads should i run ? the car will be a street/strip car with an auto .

Fury.png

Indy is my opinion, it just depends how big and how fast you would like to go.

My build is a 514, and using the MP MW heads. Puts out around 640hp & trq. Waiting to Try It Out...

Twisting my brain thinking about mounting a Max Wedge Stage II intake to Stage 6 heads. Got a picture of how that works?

The biggest cork will be the intake itself. Especially at 540". Years ago I ran a 498" with box stock -1 Indys. Dynoed with a stock Cross ram. Made 658@5700. Same day, same carbs we swapped a Indy 440-25 cross ram. Made 711@6800. Lost nothing below the start of the pull at 4000 and gained 1100 rpm of useful power. A bigger motor with more cam will widen the gap even more.
Doug

My Indy 540 ( built by Muscle Motors) dynos 765/753 with the Indy single plane manifold and FAST EFI 2.0. CNC ported 440-1 heads. Lots of technology has ensued since the MAX engine design.
Mike

If I were you and I wanted great performance with somewhat of a budget in mind for a 540ci engine. I would sell your stage 6 heads and bug a pair of TFS 270 CNC heads.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-6161t783-c01

These have the same 270cc ports that Indy's EZ-1 head has and are around $700.00 cheaper per head assembled. Both have the same intake valve size. Indy offers you a 75cc closed chamber or 80cc open chamber design as TFS only offers a 75cc closed chamber. I do not think this that is an issue at all. A MLS gasket and good machinist will get your compression right where you want it. TFS is also nothing to scoff at, they make high quality products and are not some Chinese crap company. I see no reason to spend $1,400.00 more on your heads for the same design and almost identical flow #'s.

I think the 270cc intake ports are a good choice for a street driven engine. The step up from these heads are going to be the Brodix B1 or Indy Big EZ. But at this point we are talking about an all out race head. Huge intake ports, custom pistons, and big money. I would consider these two products the "best" in terms of power potential and giving the edge to the Brodix head. However they do not make sense for your street driven car.

Hope this helps.

Twisting my brain thinking about mounting a Max Wedge Stage II intake to Stage 6 heads. Got a picture of how that works?

Seems like it should work on an RB with the appropriate spacers.
Or....... on a low deck without the spacers.

C585E638-B959-40B3-AC0C-7D05D82F41E0.jpeg

They would need to opened up to match the port openings on the heads.

They could also be made out of a piece of the appropriate thickness plate.

I’m pretty sure Jim knew this....... I posted it as “general information”.

Last edited:
Yes I've had several Stage 6 heads here with the spacers. The cross ram Max Wedge intakes I haven't handled since the 1960's. I thought the Max Wedge intake seals against the front and rear block rails? With the spacers and the Max Wedge intake do you build additional spacers to go under the intake to the block walls?

Yes, you would need end rail spacers as well.
They’re also used when running the stock style x-ram with Indy heads(if you’re not using the Indy valley plate).
Same would be true for TF270’s.

There was also a stage six version of the 337 manifold, for an Rb, which of course wont work with anything but stage VIs.. i know, i bought the wrong one new from mopar, and then almost did the same thing at MATS swapmeet.

There are actually 4 different stage 6/RB specific intakes.
4150 and 4500 versions for both std and MW ports.

But the OP wants to use a factory style X ram.

On a build similar to what Doug posted about...... years ago I tested a 500” Indy headed build with a factory MW intake and a couple of Carter 750’s.
It made similar power to Doug’s.
I seem to recall it made around 670hp, but I’m pretty sure it peaked a bit higher than the 5700rpm he got out of his.

so i see that my new max wedge intake is no better than the older max intakes ? and it seems that the 270 tf's or big ez's would be the way to go for my street / strip b body . or just build my 470 b motor instead of a big inch rb . oh yes on spacers from the valley to the intake or use the mopar valley plate .

Yup....... a X-ram will bolt right on some MW stage 6’s on a low deck 470, and the typical stage 6 valley pan would work just fine.

How big on a motor you “need” really depends on what you’re trying to do....... and what you want to spend.

And...... for the last 18 months or so...... what you can actually get your hands on for parts.

well my mw stage 6's have been ported by dave story of story porting . he claimed well in to the 300 range on the intake side , not sure on what lift , my cam grinder arranged the deal based on a 7500 plus 470 b block . dave made a 470 iron block n heads on race gas go 808 hp at 8800 rpm and that dodge lived run after run in a pull truck and out pulled the chevy's n da ford's .

Auto Transport Service
Back