• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best master cylinder for manual 4 wheel disc conversion

grizgtx

Local time
12:03 PM
Reaction score
I am converting my 67 GTX from 4 wheel drum to wilwood 4 wheel disc. I have been told that I need a new master cylinder. Could get a wilwood but would like to get something more original that will work. I am currently running a manual master cylinder and want to stay that way. Looking for a direct bolt on that will work well for my application.

You want to start your search with bore size. What does Wilwood recommend for the perfect balance of pedal feel and stopping power? There are no direct bolt on 4 wheel disc masters for early MoPars. The best you will do is get a late model one and use an adapter. The early Corvette ones are a 1" bore and they work with an adapter, but don't look stock MoPar. You can remove the residual pressure valve from a drum brake one but then the small reservoir on the one side might bite you in the ***. The larger reservoir is to compensate for increasing volume in the calipers due to pad wear.

Another route would be Autozone they offer one for your gtx/440ci ( m1487) with front disc and a 1" bore with a bigger reservoir then your manual brake one, or you can go to a 67 fury/440ci (m1327) one with a even bigger reservoir and 1" bore not sure on the stud size that goes throw the firewall you would have to check that out

Thanks guys for the responses. This helps a lot.

I am running the Mopar perfformance one with the even size rez. You will need the 4 to 2 bolt adapter also. I have a new adapter if you need one ? I am running 4 wheel welwood disc's on my car. Master shield.jpgrr master.jpg

master power. 1-1/8" bore. I'll get you the PN tomorrow.

Attachments

• heaterbrake inst460.jpg
    heaterbrake inst460.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 542
I have the Wilwood 13" rotors with 6 piston calipers front and 12" rotors with 4 piston calipers rear. I went with a Wilwood master in the 7/8 bore. I called Wilwood tech support to insure I got the correct master for my setup.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-261-13271-bk/overview/

For manual brakes you want a small bore and more stoke. If not you will have a rock hard kettle with not enough force to stop the car worth a damn.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 477
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 495
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 484
Yes if you plan on staying with manual disc brakes your going to want the 1 inch bore size or smaller for your master cylinder which creates higher pressure with less effort then a 1 1/8 bore size. 1 1/8 bore size will give you less pedal travel but you will have to exert more pressure to get the same stopping power

Last edited:
So after some research I have found a few "stock" looking ones. Mancini Racing has one, a Bendix 1404 style MC for 145.00. Wilwood said I need 260-9439 7/8 bore and theirs comes with the rod. I also found a raybestos one on summit MC36283 for 62.00 but will it work, I think so but now starting to like the wilwood so I have a matched system.

Jim Bob, the one you reference, I assume the MC needs an adapter like what wedge69 has?

And wilwood said I will have to use 13/16 brake lines? Anyone else heard of that? Not sure what size came on drum cars.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Oops 3/16 lines...

The Wilwood is two bolt and you will still need the adapter as far as i know ? Unless thay offer a 4 bolt ??

I had to buy a 45 dollar adapter. I was (am) unsatisfied with the quality of the part so I may be making another one. I want to press in the bolt studs from my original master cylinder and celan up the outside edges. The piece I purchased was plazma cut and painted or powder coated. It looks decent except the edges are not finished. Plus using nuts and bolts will be a pain in the butt during install.

mc-adapter.jpgTheres alot of them out there thats why I got this Billet one with pressed in studs. Its a nice part and is what I would have made if I wanted to but there not that costly. The one i have is new and just used for moc up. But heck I only want $35. for it .View attachment 178732

Last edited:
I just made a bunch of these on my CNC mill last week.
I shipped out one to a fellow member on Forabodiesonly so he can test fit it on his car and make sure it will work and then i will post them for sale
He requested his to be bare aluminum but i can get them anodized black just like the dr diff ones and the Mancini ones.I will try and get a pic up on here and also start a thread when i know everything is good to go.
Cost will be $28.95 Canadian plus shipping so i will adjust the price lower for my American friends to make it fair.

BTW, do you have the width and height center-to-center distances on the 4 mounting holes? I just want to do a swap of the old single MC to a dual.

View attachment 178827Theres alot of them out there thats why I got this Billet one with pressed in studs. Its a nice part and is what I would have made if I wanted to but there not that costly. The one i have is new and just used for moc up. But heck I only want $35. for it .View attachment 178732

I was curious as to whether or not you still sell these? I could use one.
~A

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back