• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best oil for 440.....

FLARunner

Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
I've had my 68 Road Runner for about 3 months. I'm the 3rd owner of the car (to my knowledge.) I don't know what oil was previously used, and I cant get in touch with the previous owner, and it's about time for an oil change. The 440 is out of a 66 Dodge Coronet. What is my best choice for oil? Any and all help is much appreciated!

10-30 with Zinc, if you beat on it 10-40 and if you redline it constantly 20-50(warm weather only)

Any name brand oil that contains Zinc/ZDDP would be preferable, but you can use a zinc/zddp additive if necessary. I like redline, and Schaefer’s for the spendy stuff, but castrol and valvoline make high zinc options that are more readily available.

I use Valvoline VR1 20-50 racing oil in all my vintage rides.

No need for an extra additive when using Valvoline VR1 in either 10w-30 or 20w-50.

Yup, all good oils....I would not go synthetic bled though.
Many like the 10-30s and 10-40s
shell rotella and another diesel have the zinc which is a good lube

I use diesel 15W40 in my 413.
Rotella? I was using that in everything but now everything I have have roller cams. Their oil doesn't have much ZDDP if any these days.
Yup, all good oils....I would not go synthetic bled though.
Many like the 10-30s and 10-40s
shell rotella and another diesel have the zinc which is a good lube
I read years ago that Shell reduced the ZDDP by a pretty good number.....

Same as a flat tappet chevy 350, Ford 351, Olds 455, a 440 doesn't take "special" oil. Assuming 1st engine you've changed oil on?
I like Rotella 10/30 T6 full synthetic in mine. Everyone has their preference.

Amsoil Z-rod 10-40 (has Zinc additive). I was turned onto Amsoil by my good buddy Dennis H, who runs it in his yellow Coronet R/T. It's been good stuff and now I also run Amsoil trans fluid in my 727 and Amsoil Dot3/Dot 4 brake fluid as well.

Rotella? I was using that in everything but now everything I have have roller cams. Their oil doesn't have much ZDDP if any these days.

I read years ago that Shell reduced the ZDDP by a pretty good number.....
Yes, they reduced it when the class 8 diesel trucks went to DEF for emissions control. I switched to VR1 after the change.

Yes, they reduced it when the class 8 diesel trucks went to DEF for emissions control. I switched to VR1 after the change.
Is the cam in the 97 5.9 diesel a roller?

Did all the above answer your question FLARunner? :D
Ever heard the expression that opinions are like ********?
Well there you go. My vote goes with Ski's response.

I have always run straight 30W and add a bottle of Lucas break in additive at every oil change.

Another "oil" thread.

Yep, ask 100 people and get 100 different answers…

The old Direct Connection B/RB Performance Bulletin recommends high detergent 30W, which has worked very well for the 40+ years I’ve run big block Mopars.
image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back