• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best place for water temp gauge

justanotherguy

Local time
9:03 AM
Reaction score
Looking for people's recommendations for where to best place an autometer mechanical sending unit for water temp for best reading.
20231120_121259.jpg
20231120_121253.jpg
20231120_121238.jpg

Top of the water pump and replace the POS I wasted $20 on?

Cut the top radiator tube?

On the intake manifold?

The top of the water pump where the factory put it. Monitors the water coming out of the block.

Some water pump housings have a plug on the opposite side as well.
The outlet hose would only work after the thermostat opens.
The intake is dry (no water in a big block intake).

So, dumb question. Putting it in the water pump, like how I have the other unit, will provide an accurate reading of temp regardless of if the thermostat is open or closed?

Some water pump housings have a plug on the opposite side as well.
The outlet hose would only work after the thermostat opens.
The intake is dry (no water in a big block intake).
Thanks for clarifying this. Would have definitely been a head banger.

So, dumb question. Putting it in the water pump, like how I have the other unit, will provide an accurate reading of temp regardless of if the thermostat is open or closed?
Yes. That is where you put a temp sender.

Correct.
I think AR engineering makes an adapter for the water outlet (thermostat housing) as well.
Easiest thing would be to just put it where the one is now.

Sidenote: doesn't look like that aircleaner has been touched in a while...
Dirt road?

Looking for people's recommendations for where to best place an autometer mechanical sending unit for water temp for best reading. View attachment 1560565View attachment 1560564View attachment 1560563

Top of the water pump and replace the POS I wasted $20 on?

Cut the top radiator tube?

On the intake manifold?
The last pix is the blocked EGR valve PASSAGES......ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE THIS LOCATION. The best location is on the water pump casting at the heater hose nipple location. The temperature sending unit will report the AVERAGE coolant temperature.
BOB RENTON

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll be installing the autometer temp gauge when it gets in!

Auto Transport Service
Back