• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Plan for reducing compression?

bherman

Local time
8:56 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys', a friend that helps me a bunch with my projects purchased a 70 Challenger that was raced as a super stocker and he would like to street it, maintaining the SS look. He would like to use the engine that came with the car while he's working on updating the rest of the vehicle. His plan is to build a new engine for the car when it's all sorted out.

The engine is a 1975 block, STD bore (4.320)and stroke (3.75) 440. The cylinder heads are 915 castings that have been reworked with 2.1875 intakes and 1.875 exhaust valves, we cc'd the chambers and got 76 cc's. The pistons are TRW L2295's which TRW claims is a 12 cc dome. The pistons have been machined for valve clearance with the larger valves and when we cc'd them we got an 8cc dome. The quench surface is .030 below deck and the head gasket was .022 thick. After performing the math and using two different online calculators we came up with approximately 12.2 comp ratio. We were hoping to get the CR down to pump gas territory.

My friend does not want to change the pistons and re-balance the assembly.
The options that we are considering and the CR'S we think that option produces;

Leave everything as is and use an .080 thick Cometic head gasket. (CR 10.49) I've read that the Cometic gaskets require a better than average surface finish, I have a concern about sealing.
Change to 906/452 heads, I'm told these are 88 cc's and use .022 steel shim gasket (CR10.3).
Change to an 84 CC Edelbrock head and Felpro 1009 head gasket (.039 thick) (CR 10.7).
Change to an 84 cc Edelbrock head and Edlebrock white gasket (.051 thick) (CR 10.45).

I don't believe that we would wish to use the 906/452 heads without reworking them for larger valves, at that point the cost for the iron heads is close to what we can purchase the edelbrocks' for. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated, thanks Brian.

Edelbrock also makes 88 cc heads. With the .039 head gasket.That can get you into pump gas territory. Just a thought..

This is apparently not a daily driver. How many miles is anticipated before the new engine?
If only a few hundred maybe more realistic to just dump racing fuel in it.

I'm sure someone else will chime in on this. If there is enough material in the pistons you could cut them down. The 20 to 30 grams of material it would take to get your CR down should not hurt your balance too much since it is only reciprocating weight.

I've found that 9.5-1/10.0-1 is close to the max with iron 440 heads on pump gas. Depends on the cam. You can mill the tops of those pistons easily. I wouldn't worry about losing bobweight without rebalance.
Doug

Last edited:
I would use the Cometic gaskets, just spray them with Coppercoat and you can reuse them, save money. Just my thoughts..

As mentioned,
by the time you prep another set of irons decently, the costs are prohibitive versus just spending for Eddy's.... with, the added benefit to the Aluminum Head at 10.45:1 will run just fine on Pump 91 Octane, using the most probable very late SS Cams ABDC Intake closing point ?
just say'in here....
I would check the SS Cams ABDC Intake Valve closing point FIRST.... as it relates to the actual psi the pump gas is seeing in DCR or Dynamic Compression Ratio,
before,
then making any actual "static" C.R. changes to the Engine by swapping parts ?

Probably too little too late, but does anyone know what effect polishing combustion chambers have on combustion chamber volume? Would it be 1cc, 2cc, more? Anyone measure before and after?

Probably too little too late, but does anyone know what effect polishing combustion chambers have on combustion chamber volume? Would it be 1cc, 2cc, more? Anyone measure before and after?
polishing<1cc

Auto Transport Service
Back