• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Slick for best 60 foot times ? Your opinions..

Mike Gaines

Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 276374 russell lines.jpgWell, I get my car back Friday as the Dana 60 Install will be done.
I need input on you guys opinions on best slick for best 60' times.
I have 605 (dyno) horsepower...505" inch
5200 flash converter.
I will leave at 2500RPM off my Footbrake off the MSD 2 Step with the gas pedal matted.

3650 lbs
Moroso DS2 28" front tires and 5 1/2" front wheel travel with Cal Trac 90/10 Frt Shocks
Cal Trac Bars with Cal Trac Monoleaf springs and Cal Trac 9 way Adj RR Shocks
Narrowed Dana with 4.30 and Spool
15X10 Weld Wheels
I am currently running a brand new set of MT DOT (4 groves to make them street legal) Bias Ply Slicks 28x13.50x15, 11" wide

I bought those slicks to be able to run "street legal" classes but dont know if they will really "hurt" me with my 60' times. I have had some guys tell me they are a crappy tire but I dont really know.
One NHRA super stock guy told me to run 9" Hoosiers on my 10" wheels as that is the new "trick" setup...duh...I just dont know.
Your thoughts.??528.jpgScan0005.jpgView attachment 276373

I would think a 28" tall tire may be a little on the short side with your combination. My car has a 4.10 gear with a 28" tire & runs 6400 through the lights at 120-121mph.
I found out with my car that it 60' the same with MT 275 ET Streets as well as it does with 28 x 11.5 Hoosiers. 1.649 with the Hoosiers & 1.648 with the MTs, but my converter only flashes to 3800.
9" slick on a 10" wheel will leave more of a footprint.

btw, nice car!
Jeff

I would agree that 28" might be a bit small....I'm running 3.73 gears and winding 6400 and 128 mph thru the traps...for what it's worth, I run M/T 28" 'W' series bias ply slicks and the car dead-hooks

Splicer

Don't know about those tires at all....but your car is back halved, right?

If your car can fit a bigger tire run it. Especially if you are going to bracket race the car. At one time or another I have run mickeys, Goodyear, Firestone.. Phoenix, and Hoosier. Some were good, some weren't. . Had buddies running same tire on their car and it worked great.. sucked on my car... and vice versa. ..

If your running brackets at Famoso I would be looking at a bias ply Hoosier the widest and tallest you can fit. By the 3rd round track temp at Famoso is really high and you need to hook the car.... a smaller tire will be quicker but at the cost of consistency.

That's why I was asking about being back halved. A mini tube might allow a 13.50 x 28 but would be very tight imo. Hard to tell by the pic what's going on. I know these cars have small wheel houses in them. I have a pair of 12.5W's and they are 13.25" tread and it doesn't look like they will fit with a mini tub job.

Thanks for you input Roughbird.
My calculations show that with a 28" tire and a 4.30 gear that the RPM thru the lights will be 6450RPM @ 125mph.
127.5mph will be 6579RPM thru the traps
122mph will be 6295RPM thru the traps
These calculations are off the Wallace Racing Calculator website which is pretty accurate.
The standard formula for this is:
RPM=MPH X GEAR RATIO x 336 DIVIDED BY YOUR TIRE DIAMETER.
The thing is does NOT take into account is "converter slip" in high gear which I think is about 6-8%, but not sure.
So,,that would of course, change the outcome of the above formula somewhat.

so....if 122MPH is supposed to be 6295 RPM thru the lights (with no converter slip) then if you had 6-8% slip then your RPM thru the lights would be around 6700 using the formular and accounting for converter slip.

Using your 28" tire and 4.10 gear then using the formula (with no converter slip) then your trap RPM would be 5935RPM but taking into accounbt 6-8% converter slip your actual RPM would be around 6375...so the formula works pretty good, I think.

My engine builder tells me my motor is absolutely good for reving to 6700-6800 RPM thru the lights with no problem with valve train float, etc. I have a .630 lift solid cam (all COMP cam stuff including COMP lifters, pushrods, springs, retainers and locks) with Billet Roller Rocker Arms.

- - - Updated - - -

That's why I was asking about being back halved. A mini tube might allow a 13.50 x 28 but would be very tight imo. Hard to tell by the pic what's going on. I know these cars have small wheel houses in them. I have a pair of 12.5W's and they are 13.25" tread and it doesn't look like they will fit with a mini tub job.

Cranky, Thanks for your input.
My Dana is narrowed and car is minitubbed with inboard spring kit.
The current 28" MT tires have 11" tread width and 13.1" section width and I have trimmed the inside lip of the fender. I could only (maybe) squeeze in a 12" tread with but it couldn't have more than 13.5 section width without cutting the tire.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know about those tires at all....but your car is back halved, right?

Car is NOT back-halved.
Cal Trac Mono-Leaf springs with the narrowed Dana.

- - - Updated - - -

Splicer...
What ET's are you running at 6400RPM at 128MPH with your 3.73 gears and 28" tires ?

For the best 60 foot go with the Hoosier C06 compound. The only drawback is they go away pretty fast and don't last long. But your 1st 35 passes will be awesome.
I'm going back to them on my 63 Plymouth. I run a 4.10 gear and 29 tall tire. Very similar combination. I f I were you i'd go 29 x10.5W x 15 on a hoosier.
Otherwise a M/T 29 x 10.5 stiff sidewall slick is awesome and you'll get over a 100 passes on them as long as you don't do massive burnouts.

My car is not nearly as quick or powerful as yours but my little 27" X 10.50 Hoosier Quicktime Pro D.O.T. bias ply slicks did some 1.68 60 foots and the 60 foots never really changed or went away after 90+ passes and a couple years of street driving.

Mike ,
don't forget to factor tyre growth with your rag slicks , that will pull down rpm .
I trap at 63/6400 rpm @121/122 - that is with a Hoosier 275/60R15 radial slick . Nominally 27.7 tall often called 28" .These do not grow . 8" rim
I have been as quick as 1.49 in the 60' , mostly 1.52/54
if your track is poor these radials are not for you , though IMO the Hoosier is better than MT . Way more forgiving and will wrinkle like a rag even at 19 psi
A friend is running Hoosier 30x9 radials ,29.5" tall 8" rim 4.10 gear , on his 62 Belair . I think the C06 , he has dropped into the 1.40's off the transbrake with nitrous
I did try 9 x 30 Hoosier radial , 29.9" tall , same 60 time but a little slower 0.05 on the day back to back . Really needed 4.30 gear to pull the last 100' . I have 4.10 gears .
Good luck and look forward to your results .

Tex

Mike I am also running 4.30's and I use the Hoosier radial slicks that are 30 x 9. I do like them as they hook good for me and I only use SS springs and the longer MP shocks. Best 60 is 1.50 but they are consisdent for me. Heck I drive them on the street all the time and they still work ok at the track. I shift around 6000 and trap around 6200 to 6400 which seems to work good for me. Best of luck to you when you go. Ron

Thanks for the input so far....
Keep in mind that I am NOT limited to a 9" wide tire as I have a narrowed rear end and inboard springs and mini-tubbed so I can run as wide as a 11.5 wide slick with up to a 13.5 section width. I know you should run the smallest tread width you can get by with so the bigger tire doesnt slow you down on the top end.

IMG_0099.jpg this run was on goodyear 30x14 wide slicks car 688 the cookies from the wife holding down my tag for a photo.

Mike...... my build has some common features with yours:

440 block with Eagle stroker kit and Mahle pistons for 505 ci. and 10.7:1 CR
Comp custom grind solid roller, .640 lift, comp roller rockers
Indy EZ heads ported to max wedge size by Modern Cylinder Head in Michigan
Eddy Super Victor Max Wedge intake and 1050 CFM Quickfuel Dominator style carb with full air cleaner.
727 manual valve body trans with 4000 stall convertor
8/3/4 rear end with Strange axles, mopar performance aluminum centre, and detroit locker posi. (Dont sell 8 3/4 diffs short...this one has been dealing with over 650 hp for quite a while)
SS springs and Caltrac bars
Viking DA shocks in front, Rancho SA shocks in rear
M/T bias ply W series 28.1 in drag slicks
4 wheel manual disc brakes, manual steering, lots of suspension and steering upgrades, handles quite well.

I tried Hoosier radial drag slicks and CANNOT get them to stick....I blow em off every time..

Any thing else I can help u with, please ask

Splicer

Splicer...thanks for the input on your build...it is very similiar to mine except I have a flat tappet cam (same lift as yours), You have 10.7-1 and I have 12.1-1, You have max wedge ports and I have regular ports, You have Super Victor Max Wedge and 1050 and I have INDY hi-volume Dual Plane and 850 Mighty Demon, You have 4000 converter and I have 5200, Our supspensions are almost the same (Cal Trac, etc) except you have SS Springs and I have Cal Trac Mono-leafs.
If your car weighs 3700 mine may weight 3600 as I have fiberglass front fenders/hood and both bumpers and no back seat and 2 Recaro type bucket seats (I havent had the change to weigh mine)
I will be running mine as soon as my 4.30-1 (Spool) DANA 60 install is finished (should be done Sept 15th).
If you go 10.55 to 10.60 I hope to go very close to that...I only dynod at 605HP.
I will let you know the first time I run it.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your first runs Mike.....I think you'll find you need more carburetor....I ran a 950 Holley HP before the max wedge heads and I suspect it was small...I have an Innovate motor sports air/fuel monitor/data logger on the car and it's invaluable...You'll be amazed at how much fuel a big block Mopar stroker wants...LOL

Splicer I have to agree with you about the 8-3/4 rear. I still run stock axles in mine and a Detroit Locker with 4.30's and I use 30 x 9 Hoosier radials as they hook great for me. But I am surprised it is holding up good in my 3700 lb 63. I dont race alot but usually once or twice a year. Mine is a 440/493 with 10.6 comp as I built good quench in it and it runs fine on 92 pump and I also use a solid flat tappet cam. I also use the Indy dual plane with an 850 DP but would love to try a dominator one day. I do agree the strokers want alot of fuel as I had to jet up alot in my 850 when I went from a 440 to the 493. I think Mike will have a nice solid mid 10 car when it gets all ironed out and tuned in. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back