• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Slick for best 60 foot times ? Your opinions..

Splicer I have to agree with you about the 8-3/4 rear. I still run stock axles in mine and a Detroit Locker with 4.30's and I use 30 x 9 Hoosier radials as they hook great for me. But I am surprised it is holding up good in my 3700 lb 63. I dont race alot but usually once or twice a year. Mine is a 440/493 with 10.6 comp as I built good quench in it and it runs fine on 92 pump and I also use a solid flat tappet cam. I also use the Indy dual plane with an 850 DP but would love to try a dominator one day. I do agree the strokers want alot of fuel as I had to jet up alot in my 850 when I went from a 440 to the 493. I think Mike will have a nice solid mid 10 car when it gets all ironed out and tuned in. Ron

Ron...What jets do you run in your 850cfm carb and dual plane ?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm looking forward to hearing about your first runs Mike.....I think you'll find you need more carburetor....I ran a 950 Holley HP before the max wedge heads and I suspect it was small...I have an Innovate motor sports air/fuel monitor/data logger on the car and it's invaluable...You'll be amazed at how much fuel a big block Mopar stroker wants...LOL

Splicer...could you give me the part number (from like Summit or Jegs) for the Innovate A/F monitor. And, does it just give you the A/F ratio readings as you go down the track or does it do more? and how much does it cost ?
Thanks

Mike , sorry for the hijack . But a question for Splicer , which eagle kit did you use to get 10:6 comp ? Or did you need a custom piston ? Open chamber head ?
I am not seeing less than 11.2:1 with a 505

Tex

Mike I have 88's and 92's in my 850 with a 3.5 P/V up front. The more jet I gave it the faster it went at the track but it has the cruise rpm fat enough that I dont want to jet up any more since I drive it on the street 99% of the time and only race it a little. This seems to be a nice happy point between racing and driving it where it dont foul plugs on the street. Ron

Mike: My A/F monitor is an Innovate Motor Sports LM-2....Basic kit $350.00 at Summit......gives continuously updated A/F mixture and RPM....data logs all sensor info for download later....will monitor multiple additional sensors if desired......mine is suction cup mounted to the dash....excellent instrument.

Tex: My stroker kit has Mahle flat top pistons with 8cc valve reliefs....heads are closed chamber Indy EZ heads with 86cc chambers.....Cometic .030 head gaskets if I remember correctly.

Splicer

Splicer thanks . I see where you get some relief - I have 76cc chamber heads .

Tex

Regardless of brand radial slicks will be the quickest, M/T , Hoosier, etc. That being said without proper air pressure, shocks, and shock adjustment it won't matter. With good shocks you can go quick on most slicks. Heck my son goes 1.38 on old style M/T street radials with a 3.55 gear. We tuned a friends 64 Polara with Rancho 9 ways this weekend. Car started out in the high 1.60's. By adding nearly 4 psi (ended up at 15psi) and tightening the shocks resulted in a string of consistent 1.54 60 ft using M/T 10.5x28 bias ply. The car was weighted down to just over 4000lbs to slow it to run index. I recently watched my friends AA/SA 64 Plymouth stocker pick-up over .10 in ET back to back runs swapping to radial slicks from bias ply.
Doug

I'm looking forward to hearing about your first runs Mike.....I think you'll find you need more carburetor....I ran a 950 Holley HP before the max wedge heads and I suspect it was small...I have an Innovate motor sports air/fuel monitor/data logger on the car and it's invaluable...You'll be amazed at how much fuel a big block Mopar stroker wants...LOL

What is your carb setup?? Trying to get mine tuned for good A/F mix I ran a Fast A/F recorder and have it around 12.5 a tad rich but I think its ok 90 jets x4 both power valves plugged.

Mike my Cuda always ran best w/Phoenix slicks(29.50 x 11.50w-15) deadly consistent(if only the driver was as good). Ran Goodyears (31x13)for several yrs before going w/Phoenix and had inconsistent 60' times. The Phoenix tires seemed better and more consistent on all tracks, marginal or good.
I would have ran them on my 67 Belvedere but could not find a section width that I liked. Ended up w/Hoosiers.
Had considered M&T as I heard those running smaller tires liked them. But due to tires being on back order didn't get the chance to try them.
My brother runs Phoenix on his Cuda (w/cal-tracs) and his 60' never seems to vary more than .01(that's from off the trailer to the last run).

Mike my Cuda always ran best w/Phoenix slicks(29.50 x 11.50w-15) deadly consistent(if only the driver was as good). Ran Goodyears (31x13)for several yrs before going w/Phoenix and had inconsistent 60' times. The Phoenix tires seemed better and more consistent on all tracks, marginal or good.
I would have ran them on my 67 Belvedere but could not find a section width that I liked. Ended up w/Hoosiers.
Had considered M&T as I heard those running smaller tires liked them. But due to tires being on back order didn't get the chance to try them.
My brother runs Phoenix on his Cuda (w/cal-tracs) and his 60' never seems to vary more than .01(that's from off the trailer to the last run).

I have heard good things about this tire. A Firestone spinoff

Auto Transport Service
Back