• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best street tire traction

What name brand tires get the best traction?

• Cooper Cobra Radial

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Name brand tire available at local tire store

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cornpatch MO

Local time
1:13 AM
Reaction score
Believe it or not, my new Nitto's get to much traction for my set up. With a A833 4 speed, I am breaking stuff on a spirited launch(3-3500RPM). Almost no tire spin . I can handle a little bit. I would just as soon be able to get them from a local tire store rather than a racing tire source. What is your vote?........................MO

Hey Mo, what nittos are you using. I have NT05's on my charger SRT and they spin anywhere through first gear. Do you have 15" rims or are they bigger?

Love my Coopers, but not for launching traction. American made, inexpensive. With the TKO, I leave in 2nd if serious about getting out of the hole. Smell good when roasted too.

Hey Mo, what nittos are you using. I have NT05's on my charger SRT and they spin anywhere through first gear. Do you have 15" rims or are they bigger?

Yep....707hp will do that.

I've had decent luck with Toyo Proxes II, but I don't know if they're available in 15" sizes....guessing no. If you look DEEP into tire specifications, in general, you're looking for a little bit harder rubber.....softer = stickier & harder = longer tire life ..... in very general terms.

Mine are NT555R Extreme drag radials . size 275--60 R 15 About 28" diameter.
They would work great on a auto trans. car. With my approx .4-425 HP-- 440 and 4 speed --3:55 sure grip, I have broken a diff yoke(742), new left motor mount completely in two, Partially torn new right motor mount, possibly damage to the 742 sure grip. And this within 500 miles. I am now gun shy even with a torque strap and 7290 U joints- billit steel yoke.............................MO

Mine are NT555R Extreme drag radials . size 275--60 R 15 About 28" diameter.
They would work great on a auto trans. car. With my approx .4-425 HP-- 440 and 4 speed --3:55 sure grip, I have broken a diff yoke(742), new left motor mount completely in two, Partially torn new right motor mount, possibly damage to the 742 sure grip. And this within 500 miles. I am now gun shy even with a torque strap and 7290 U joints- billit steel yoke.............................MO
They have got to be better than BF/TA's of the same size then. But they work ok in the 4000# 4 spd 3:54 car. Not so well in the 3800# auto with 4:10s

I just bought 15" Cobras for my 70 Satty vert but haven't mounted them yet. Think I can make em smoke with my 318/904 and 2.76 rear? :rofl:

They have got to be better than BF/TA's of the same size then. But they work ok in the 4000# 4 spd 3:54 car. Not so well in the 3800# auto with 4:10s
The BF/TA don't get the traction that the Nitto's do.
You mean the BF/TA 's or the Nitto's? .......................MO

If it were me, I'd keep the nittos. Did you replace both u joints? Assuming you bought quality u joints, I'd say you got all the weak points.

If it were me, I'd keep the nittos. Did you replace both u joints? Assuming you bought quality u joints, I'd say you got all the weak points.
Yes, I used the strong Borg Warner 7290 joints without being drilled for grease zerks. I also installed the driveshaft loop. I guess I am just gun shy to try a launch now. Several car events that I want to make, and don't want the Dodge out of operation at this time. Thanks for your opinion , I may give it another try , and let the clutch slip just a little bit.............................MO

Love my Coopers, but not for launching traction. American made, inexpensive. With the TKO, I leave in 2nd if serious about getting out of the hole. Smell good when roasted too.
What is TKO ? ......................I may just get a set of Coopers, just to see what a roasted Cooper smell like !..............Thanks.....................MO

What is TKO ? ......................I may just get a set of Coopers, just to see what a roasted Cooper smell like !..............Thanks.....................MO
TKO 5 is the Keisler transmission with overdrive. Like the old 833 with an extra gear. I put Coopers on the modern Mopar too. The Michelins dry rotted early.

I've found the Cooper a good tire for general useage / mild performance in any weather. I like it better than the BFG/TA. Which isn't an bad tire ether.
235/60/15's on all 4 corners.

The Mickey Thompson street leagal drag radials are very good for traction.

I am using the 255/60 M/T ET street radials, but a smaller size than those Nitto's with the hope of breaking less. The BFG TA at 245 and 275 had absolutely no traction. The M/T hold to my satisfaction.

Auto Transport Service
Back