• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best torqueflite-727 to 1000hp?

mmissile

Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
Okay, I know this is subjective. I'm looking for a 727[not 904] for my car. Must handle 1000hp, easily...have a brake, and clean neutral. Let's hear it guys....and why.

I'm looking to buy a complete trans. $$ isn't in the equation....so I don't care what people pay. Anybody have good-luck/longevity with a complete trans from a known builder?

John Cope At CRT or Rick Allison A&A. I build my own. Build is similar to SSR except I use stock input and ouput shafts. I prefer the aluminum drum. Works well in my applications 850hp Sb turbo, 900hp bb
Doug

i have used John Cope's stuff in several cars.great guy to deal with and quality is spectacular.

I'm looking to buy a complete trans. $$ isn't in the equation....so I don't care what people pay. Anybody have good-luck/longevity with a complete trans from a known builder?

I was telling you what good parts will cost you to build a transmission to hold 1000+ Hp. ADIOS! Opps. my post disappeared.lol

I wasn't asking about how much you have invested in your fleet of transmissions. I've been doing this 45 years. I know what good parts cost....but want to know who builds a good/reliable trans. Things/people change constantly.

I wasn't asking about how much you have invested in your fleet of transmissions. I've been doing this 45 years. I know what good parts cost....but want to know who builds a good/reliable trans. Things/people change constantly.

So you've been doing this for 45 years and yet you don't know a good trans builder?
:BangHead:

I have done a lot of research getting ready to buy a new tranny for my car and I have decided it will be COPE or A&A. John Cope has a new (last year) billet trans brake valve body I think is pretty good....I am leaning towards John Cope but Rick Allison at A&A has called me back (also) and answered all my questions and made good suggestions and he wasn't in a hurry to get of the line...just wanted to give me good recommendations for my tranny...John Cope did exacty the same thing on his phone call to me...both good guys.

I've dealt with A&A and John Cope in the past and both were very helpful and knowledgeable.....think ether one would be very good and get you where you want to be hp wise.

Bob Alexander at Performance Transmissions in Clinton, IL. He built mine. We made 735 on motor and sprayed 250 in a 4250# car. Went 113 in the 1/8 and 139mph in the quarter.

So you've been doing this for 45 years and yet you don't know a good trans builder?
:BangHead:

As much as I hate to engage your egotistical/self-centered ***....I'm always looking for someone who does a better job, with new ideas. Those are the 2 torqueflite guys that everybody talks well about . It's just that most people in the mopar hobby are "monkey see-monkey do". That's why so few mopars are winning against the bowtie guys. It took a bowtie guy to get the lazy-assed mopar guys flying in superstock A and A/A.

SMR http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/index.html
has had great reviews

I haven't got any 1st hand experience with them
but know people that have had great luck...

I ran a Clutch-flite A727/Crower slipper & early on converter both
behind blown alky/gas combos, wedge & hemi combos, with well over 1000 hp
in my 23 T altered, albeit a light car
Coan was my go to company,
I did use a few A&A pieces too...
Steve Griner's stuff was top notch at one time too...

sorry most of my stuff is outdated now 2007 & earlier
having a brain fart can't remember details or all the mfgrs

good luck

When I made good power,
I usually had a Jeffco or Lenco's behind them
clutch maintenance is expensive & cumbersome/time consuming,
but you can put a converter in-front of them too

Pro-Mods are using them {converters} occasionally,
with great success, still some attrition/breakage,
easier on parts & tunes than a clutch too

https://lencoracing.com/
check out Lencodrives 2-3-4 speeds or others

I have never tried that, but seen it done...

again good luck, just spit-balling, especially if $$$ isn't an issue :BangHead:
throwing stuff out there see what sticks

again good luck in your quest

Last edited:
Thanks. My buddy has a Bruno-drive, in front of his Liberty 5-speed. I'd love to do that....but don't know how well I could set it up for an occasional street drive.

Look at Protrans in Lancaster CA. He does a lot of super stock trans and racers on the west coast. I just had one built by him!

Mike Transmission out of Lancaster area SoCal
use to do a bunch of trans for our guys in the
Calif. Outlaw Pro-stock Assn.
{Door-slammers, Pro-Mod , T/S, lite P/S, N20, Blown, 2500#'s & up etc.}
back in the 90's

He does stuff with Torqueflite's too

http://mikestransmission.com/catalogsitechryslertrans.html

I'd call & talk to them 1st, I haven't been in-touch for decades now

just thought of them again

good luck

Anybody use Hughes?

Last edited:
Is Joel still doing transmissions?

The problem is eventually the stock parts are beyond limits. To get the really strong stuff you are forced to go TH400 due to parts availibility
Doug

Mike Transmission out of Lancaster area SoCal
use to do a bunch of trans for our guys in the
Calif. Outlaw Pro-stock Assn.
{Door-slammers, Pro-Mod , T/S, lite P/S, N20, Blown, 2500#'s & up etc.}
back in the 90's

He does stuff with Torqueflite's too

http://mikestransmission.com/catalogsitechryslertrans.html

I'd call & talk to them 1st, I haven't been in-touch for decades now

just thought of them again

good luck

We have used powerglides from mikes transmission. Highly reccommended!
Never had a breakdown.

JR

Auto Transport Service
Back