• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Vinyl Top Conditioner

albert 5694

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
Hello looking for advice on what is the best and or safest vinyl top conditioner to use for by black vinyl top. I am wanting something that will condition it as well as give it good UV protection i have heard several opinions on Meguiars as well as Chemical guys also 303 vinyl protectant. Looking for something that is easily applied and will condition the vinyl but not hurt the paint if it gets water on it and runs down on the car. Any one who has done there top with any of these or something better there advice would be greatly accepted. Just a note my top is in great condition yet no cracks or tears just looking to condition it before something happens trying to be proactive with it. Like to protect it so when it sits in the hot sun at the car shows other wise it is garaged and covered. 1969 GTX.jpg

I m curious also Albert to the responses to this question. The upholstery shop in my town has done three tops for me in the last 30 years, and they have been there over 100 years. Their response to me when asked that question has always been the same. NOTHING, just keep it clean and wash it with soap and water. One time I got one response during the height of the silicone cleaner period [Armor All] saying if I just HAD to do something for fading was to put cleaner/protectorant on a cloth and lightly buff. NEVER squirt any product directly on the top they said. Im like you, there is a dozen or more products that specify for use on vinyl tops. But of course they will not be the one footing the bill for a replacement top if the old one disintegrates and comes loose rather quickly.

When I had my hot rod boat, the interior was redone in '97 and I don't have to tell you the beating a boat interior takes, I always maintained with 303, my buddy owns it now and still looks as good as new.

interior.JPG

Keep in mind anything that adds shine and gloss attracts dirt and heats up the material in the sun. I know 303 has a great reputation, but if you use it buff really well and try to keep the oily surface as dry as possible.

I've used Dri Wash vinyl cleaner for almost 30 years. It has help me maintain convertible and vinyl tops. Unfortunately it's no longer being made, so I'm looking for a replacement product. I may go back to basics and clean my tops with diluted simple green and follow up with a griot's conditioner.

Bird top is now 54.5 years old. Was always gray looking and nothing ever worked to clean it. Before the Aero Reunion in 2019 I cleaned it with Scrubbing Bubbles for showers and used a little plastic upholstery cleaner brush to rub it in, then wipe off. Top is still Black 5 years later!
superbirdfullpaintdassembly7 533.jpg

As for 303.. I made the mistake of using it on my clear boat curtains 3 years ago. Just one summer at the dock later, totally yellowed, dried out and cracking and had to have all new ones made.

You can actually use regular sunscreen on it. The dust won’t stick to it more than any other protectant.
I’d say your best bet is to keep’er in the shade as much as you can.

UltraLuster Leather Conditioner deep cleans and restores without clogging the pores in leather that leads to stiffening and cracking. The product works equally well on plastic and vinyl surfaces and leaves the smell of new leather.

FAQ | ultraluster

I may try this when my Dri Wash vinyl cleaner runs out.

Don’t ever use Armor All.
My upholstery shop told me the same thing when I asked what they recommend. They told me Armor All will not do anything other than yellow and age any vinyl that it is used on. They recommend Maguires Vinyl Protectant. I have been using it for years now and have had good luck with it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/141167820025?

I’ve had good luck with Car Guys Plastic Restorer for my black vinyl top. Like others have said - it does attract dirt and the stupid cotton from cottonwoods when they snow in early summer. But it does “condition” the vinyl as well in my experience and gets it pretty black and rich.

IMG_9727.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back