• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to clean a ball cap?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a few that I like to wear but they are getting a bit dirty....I know washing them in a washing machine isn't the way to go lol.

I HAVE used the washing machine with no problems. I guess it depends on whether the front stiffener is cardboard or plastic.

Run em thru the washing machine all the time. Dont put em in the dryer.

I put mine in the dishwasher. Top rack. Works great.

I've even seen the plastic holders for doing this.

I throw them in the washing machine with my dirty jeans. Take it out of dryer early and put it on your head to get the shape back.
waving-hat-smiley-emoticon.gif

Here's the dishwasher cage.
3806eadf-f11a-4c20-90d0-6159374b7aa0_2.2c23bc9a06b51ad1d4818f1b9d103f06.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd put some dish washer liquid on grease spots if you have any. The grease will wash out and leave black carbon behind if you don't pretreat the grease.

I have a few that I like to wear but they are getting a bit dirty....I know washing them in a washing machine isn't the way to go lol.
I sympathise with you on this question. Some of the brim stiffeners are not of a material that takes kindly to water and some hats are anything but cheap. Wrap a towel into a ball and insert it into the cap so the outer material is taught. Using a good quality car shampoo spray the cap, work it in with a soft brush and let it sit a while. Then wipe off all residue with a warm soft white cloth. Do not use microfiber as they can bleed color. For grease or oil stains, treat the area with the stain sticks you use on laundry five minutes before cleaning.

Seems it's the spin cycle on the washer that makes mine so out of shape.....

I hand wash them with era dish soap and let them air dry I put a empty beer cam on the bill with rubber ban the same whay I did in the military never ever screwed up the bill

:thumbsup:Run them thru the washer and stretch it over a coffee can to dry.

After i pull it from the washing machine i bend the bill back to normal and fold like this for drying. A little dab of Dawn dishsoap on the oily areas for a pretreatment.

20171201_114123.jpg 20171201_114109.jpg

Washing machine but on the delicate/gentle cycle if yours has it...or soak it in the sink in some 409, brush for the stubborn spots and air dry (wife's trick...and who knows laundry tricks better than a woman!:plol JUST KIDDING LADIES!!)

I've never hurt one in the washing-machine. After washing....I hand-shape it, and hang it from the strap. I remove a cardboard-stiffener before washing, and insert after it's dry. Your head will shape the hat back in a few minutes.

What have we become?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

And where did Kkid get that hat?
The now very expensive autographed one.

Back