• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better, best fire ant killer?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:45 PM
Reaction score
Amdro was working for me decently but my last bag didn't seem to do much and the ants are taking over. Don't want to use gas because of the young trees they are around. What's better than the Amdontwork?

Amdro Ant Bait 1 lb - Ace Hardware

Baits work the best just have to be patient. They love the oil in this, they start picking the granules up as soon as they are on the ground. Takes a few days to wipe them all out

Last edited:
Grits Cranky!!! When the Ants grab a grain of it and return to their den, other Ants will feed off it and the grits then expand in their digestion tract and they blow up. I know this trick works because I had a Fire Ant problem when I was in Florida. My neighbor told me and it is effective...Give it a try...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

I don't know about fire ants, but I have found the best killer for what we have billions of on our Northern camp island is a box of Borax sprinkled around their holes and the lastest spray stuff "Ant B Gone" from Home Hardware works damn good !

Many years ago, my neighbor would pour bad varnished gasoline into the ant mound. He said it soaks down into the ground and kills them and they never come back. Not good for environment though!

I use this.

1709057472762.png

Sometimes it just moves them about 15 feet, but you can keep moving them until they're well on the other side of the property line.

:lol:

Get some Agent Orange coupled w/a Flame Thrower…. I guarantee the ants will be very disappointed as were millions of N Vietnamese & VC back when ….

Last edited:
Grits Cranky!!! When the Ants grab a grain of it and return to their den, other Ants will feed off it and the grits then expand in their digestion tract and they blow up.
That would work for pesky seagulls also.....they cannot fart so they would explode. :lol:

We have poison ant sand here as well as liquid ant bait that they eat and take back to the nest. The ants die, then the others eat them.
Most baits contain Boric acid.

1709058017559.png

Texas is the world's worst
when it comes to fire ants.
Was looking for a place to
snuff out a cigarette butt
and stuck one in a fire ant
mound thinking more or
less that it would piss them
off. Found out that they
absolutely hate nicotine.
I've long since quit smoking
and I don't know how
nicotine may affect your
surrounding plants.

I use about 1/2 teaspoon of powdered seven up here they step in it carry it into the nest 1 day all dead, kills bees and wasps too pour a little in a sandwich baggie tape the opening around there entry area same thing gets to the hive all dead.

Amdro Ant Bait 1 lb - Ace Hardware

Baits work the best just have to be patient. They love the oil in this, they start picking the granules up as soon as they are on the ground. Takes a few days to wipe them all out
Oh I've been patient but usually saw a difference in 2 or 3 days. It's been a week now and they ain't slowing down any.
Grits Cranky!!! When the Ants grab a grain of it and return to their den, other Ants will feed off it and the grits then expand in their digestion tract and they blow up. I know this trick works because I had a Fire Ant problem when I was in Florida. My neighbor told me and it is effective...Give it a try...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:
I'll have to try that!!
I don't know about fire ants, but I have found the best killer for what we have billions of on our Northern camp island is a box of Borax sprinkled around their holes and the lastest spray stuff "Ant B Gone" from Home Hardware works damn good !
I've used Borax before in the house for roaches and it does a pretty good job. Haven't seen any of the small 'german' roaches (they are the ones that come in if your house is nasty) in years but get the stray bark roach from time to time but they don't last long. We call the bark roaches skate boards with legs because day be big lol
Get some Agent Orange coupled w/a Flame Thrower…. I guarantee the ants will be very disappointed as were millions of N Vietnamese & VC back when ….
I've used some brake clean before and a lighter.....it only gets the ones that are on top of the dirt lol
That would work for pesky seagulls also.....they cannot fart so they would explode. :lol:

We have poison ant sand here as well as liquid ant bait that they eat and take back to the nest. The ants die, then the others eat them.
Most baits contain Boric acid.

View attachment 1617094
Yup, read above. Fire ants here don't mess with the Boric acid.....
@Cranky had his flamethrower confiscated a while back. :lol:
My flamethrower amounts to brake clean and a lighter lol
Texas is the world's worst
when it comes to fire ants.
Was looking for a place to
snuff out a cigarette butt
and stuck one in a fire ant
mound thinking more or
less that it would piss them
off. Found out that they
absolutely hate nicotine.
I've long since quit smoking
and I don't know how
nicotine may affect your
surrounding plants.
Not worried about surrounding plants but trees is a concern....but, I never smoked except for the occasional cigar and even that has been years now since smoking one of those.
I use about 1/2 teaspoon of powdered seven up here they step in it carry it into the nest 1 day all dead, kills bees and wasps too pour a little in a sandwich baggie tape the opening around there entry area same thing gets to the hive all dead.
Seven dust? Don't wanna kill honey bees....just freaking fire ants.

1709079386405.png

kills both just dont put it by the bee's yes seven dust a little goes a long way works on michigan ants, not sure about the texas ones

Auto Transport Service
Back