• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BFG RWL leaching brown?

Guessing, coming up on 10 years.
Oh, you're almost due for replacements!
I wonder if *current* Cobra's are as good as the old ones?
The complaints on BFGs is a rather recent phenomenon, it seems.

85E8B2AA-7B5D-40B4-84B7-BEBDF7C016AC.jpeg
Oh, you're almost due for replacements!
I wonder if *current* Cobra's are as good as the old ones?
The complaints on BFGs is a rather recent phenomenon, it seems.
Just replaced the rears. I meant I’ve been buying Coopers for ten years.

I used since the late '70s, on Dayton's F60-15, Firestone's L60-15 and Goodyear's polyglas F60-15 and G60-15, if I recall, Westley's Bleach White (sic) and a brass brush with a plastic scraper. (But not because of brown tinting of the white letters/numbers). Spray-brush-scrap-hose off. I can't find a new brass brush like I have and I don't think what I'm using now is Westley's. Probably some Chinese import. Rule number one, if you are going to live for a long time, when you find something that works and you like it ...buy three of them. Oh yes, the BFG's white letters have a brown tint to them, well just three of them. Hum... maybe the odd one is the one the cat pissed on.

Last edited:
Yes, I remember as a kid using SOS pads on my dad's whitewalls.
How often do the BFG's need to be whitened up with SOS pads?
Just when ever you think they need it. Depends roads ect. Mine get pretty dusty on the rock/gravel roads. If your on pavement all the time prob will last a long while.

Has anyone had this issue with Cooper Cobra's?
I have Cooper Cobras and have had them for about 2 years. Same thing. Not real bad, but they do have a beige tint to them. I don't think the brand matters. If they have raised white lettering, they're gonna get tinted.

I drive at least 7k a year, and Cobras stay white here. Little rain, but lots of dust and unfriendly desert conditions. I just use a brush and Dawn.

I have Cooper Cobras and have had them for about 2 years. Same thing. Not real bad, but they do have a beige tint to them. I don't think the brand matters. If they have raised white lettering, they're gonna get tinted.
I know RWL will get road dirt & will need to be cleaned periodically. That's ok, but it sounds like the BFG's turn brown just sitting in the garage (oxidation or leaching)?
I like the appearance of the BFG's, but if their manufacturing process or materials have changed & the RWL turn brown by themselves, then there's no point in buying RWL (I don't want RBL, lol).
Just sitting, Cobras stay white, while BFG & M/T turn brown?

Well, that explains the really old tires (like my spare) that looks like chocolate on the sidewalls.

I just looked at my 3 year old Michelins on my old daily pickup truck (which never gets any cosmetic cleaning; it's my work-horse). RWL on those Michelins is still nice & white!!

Unfortunate that BFG (& M/T) can't seem to manufacture RWL that stay W.
I have a set of fairly new Mickey's and they are doing it too. The 5th (spare) has had a tire cover on it looks better but is lightly tinted brown on the rwl's

I have Goodyear Eagle II on my Charger with my Rallye wheels for that kind of stock Good Year Polyglass look and my rear tires always turn burn but the fronts do not. They are different sizes. Not sure how that would make a difference?

I have Goodyear Eagle II on my Charger with my Rallye wheels for that kind of stock Good Year Polyglass look and my rear tires always turn burn but the fronts do not. They are different sizes. Not sure how that would make a difference?
Those must be old tires?
Not available anymore, correct?
I'd love to have *Goodyear* RWL tires ... yes., that "stock car" look!

IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG
Those must be old tires?
Not available anymore, correct?
I'd love to have *Goodyear* RWL tires ... yes., that "stock car" look!
I have Goodyear Polyglas repopped thru Coker. Fronts are G60 & Rears are L60

Coker tire did (NOT) sell/stock when I called maybe a year ago. Got my Goodyear Polyglas here. https://www.universaltire.com/ Watch the ''ES=Elevated size'' and ''NS=No size'' for size/no size on tire in white. It's all about your cars build date.
Edit; Sorry I forget the (NOT) word.

Last edited:
That brown stuff is a chemical used to try to
protect tires from UV Ray's.
It's incorporated in the compound when made.
You can also see it on the black parts if you
look closely.
It's called blooming when as tires age.

That brown stuff is a chemical used to try to
protect tires from UV Ray's.
It's incorporated in the compound when made.
You can also see it on the black parts if you
look closely.
It's called blooming when as tires age.
From what I've read here, it seems like some brands turn brown rather quickly, while others don't.

DD946BA5-0448-41FD-80D9-7F17BC2E00BC.jpeg
Here’s a car that was just auctioned at Mecum Denver. It was a 2018 restoration with reproduction E70-15 polyglas (but no indication where they bought the tires). I kind of like this “stock car racing” look.

Auto Transport Service
Back