• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BFG RWL leaching brown?

View attachment 799581 Here’s a car that was just auctioned at Mecum Denver. It was a 2018 restoration with reproduction E70-15 polyglas (but no indication where they bought the tires). I kind of like this “stock car racing” look.
So far the Goodyears Polyglas look to be all made in USofA. I think at this time that tire is coming out of one plant. I picked up a catalog at Carlisle Saturday from a "Rusted Tires" out of Lees Summit, MO. Tire price was good on F, G and L 60-15's. He had them there. There is a name on the catalog saying ''Kelsey Tire, Inc. Exclusive Distributor''. Yes my Goodyear Poly-glas do turn brown, but not much in over a year and a half.

Last edited:
I just might go with the Cooper Cobras. I’m “warming up” to the brand, and the RWL are bold. Has anyone had the “browning” affect with the Coopers?

I've got a set of coopers on my diesel pickup. Not the white letters, but bullet proof, and made in the usa. I will buy them again.

I just might go with the Cooper Cobras. I’m “warming up” to the brand, and the RWL are bold. Has anyone had the “browning” affect with the Coopers?
Yup, I have a set for about 2 years now and they are "browning". I think it is the nature of the RWL beast, regardless of brand.

Yup, I have a set for about 2 years now and they are "browning". I think it is the nature of the RWL beast, regardless of brand.
Yeah, I figured RWL would take some care & upkeep. It sounded like the BFGs were especially prone to this problem, more so than others? If not, the BFGs look great.

Is this true with ANY white letter tires?
I'm also considering Cobras or M/T's.
Is BFG especially prone to this problem?

had this happen w BFG's and MT Sportsmans… Coopers have been great and white!

Yep. Last year I bought a set of BFG's and a set of Cooper Cobra's. The BFG's letters turned brown quickly. The Cobra's stayed white.

I used tire foam in April and SOS on the radial ta’s rwl. Then after I get back from a show/drive I use a little brake cleaner on a microfiber cloth over the rwl. Still nice and white since April. Once the rwl’s are clean, just a little brake cleaner and less than 5 minutes and they stay clean for me. No browning. Before I started this method I did get browning.

Auto Transport Service
Back