• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big block cam sprocket bolt for a 1 bolt cam

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:10 AM
Reaction score
I lost mine.
Looking through my stash, I found a bolt with a captive washer but the washer is a smaller diameter than the original. The stock washer covers most of the dowel pin. How important is it to cover the camshaft dowel?
I'm having trouble finding a new bolt and washer. ARP seems to have ignored this part.

Let me look and see if I still have the old cam bolt from the cam swap I did. I went from a single to a 3 bolt cam. I'm sure I have it.

I do not think the washer needs to cover the dowel pin.
The sprocket is secured by the clamping force of the bolt
not the little dowel pin which is the locater.
I would just go to the hardware store and get a grade 8 Washer
although a Grade 5 would be OK at that torque level. Just get a big
enough wash to spread the clamping force on enough of the sprocket.

If it was my engine, I would want the washer to cover the dowel pin. Just in case....

If it was my engine, I would want the washer to cover the dowel pin. Just in case....
I agree with Geoff. Did the factory do it for a reason? Do you want to risk your new engine to find out?

On 1988-94 Cummins engines, there’s a “killer down pin.” 1 pin isn’t held in or back by anything, and overtime it works itself loose, and you’re screwed.

If I remember correctly, the washer is slightly convex, which will apply pressure on a larger area when tightened. I would try to find the correct part.

There's this.......
Cam bolt single bolt set with washer for Mopar Chrysler Dodge Big Block 383 440 | eBay

From the ad........

"We now offer our BRAND NEW REPRODUCTION bolt and special curved washer for attaching the camshaft sprocket to the the camshaft on all single bolt big block Mopar engines. These have been long discontinued by Chrysler, and we couldn't find them anywhere, so we reproduced the unique washer and sourced the bolt in a super strong grade 8 version. These fit all years and all engines with single bolt sprocket. Will not work with 3 bolt cams............."

If I remember correctly, the washer is slightly convex, which will apply pressure on a larger area when tightened. I would try to find the correct part.
100%

I lost mine.
Looking through my stash, I found a bolt with a captive washer but the washer is a smaller diameter than the original. The stock washer covers most of the dowel pin. How important is it to cover the camshaft dowel?
I'm having trouble finding a new bolt and washer. ARP seems to have ignored this part.
Parts Wanted thread

Thanks, Mike.
The bolt I used is from my stash…

3F885417-68E5-4ED1-9694-E02CB37249FD.jpeg

Here you can see the small diameter of the washer and a faint ring where the stock washer rubbed the sprocket.

5BC874BF-31DE-45A4-9BD9-EFF1244277F0.jpeg

I try to reuse factory hardware where I can. I put the 528 cam in in 2014. It was a 3 bolt design so I set the original bolt and washer somewhere that I have yet to find. I’ve always used one bolt camshafts before.
My first intention of this bolt isn’t good enough was to use a new bolt. I can see how this could seem like a “parts wanted” thread but I was initially curious if my replacement bolt and washer would be adequate.

Durfkp-2 durabond. If you go grade 8 maybe increase the torque a little? Pic of factory vs durabond parts, durabond washer has move bevel than factory, maybe just because it is new. I would not use a plain flat washer.

20220919_114659.jpg

Last edited:
Pic of an old undercut washer from a 67 440 don't think it was original.

20220919_115105.jpg

20220919_115115.jpg

I looked all over the damn place and can't find it. Sorry it took me so long to get back to ya.

Thanks for the effort. Another member is able to help out.
For my other engines waiting for their turn, I'm going to go ahead and order new parts. The wait time won't matter for them since they are months or years away from being needed.

I agree with Geoff. Did the factory do it for a reason? Do you want to risk your new engine to find out?

On 1988-94 Cummins engines, there’s a “killer down pin.” 1 pin isn’t held in or back by anything, and overtime it works itself loose, and you’re screwed.
All of the 12 valve motors has that KDP. When I first bought my 97 back around 2001 that was the first thing I did to it. The dowel was still in place right where it was supposed to be though.

Thanks, Mike.
The bolt I used is from my stash…

View attachment 1345385
Here you can see the small diameter of the washer and a faint ring where the stock washer rubbed the sprocket.

View attachment 1345386

I try to reuse factory hardware where I can. I put the 528 cam in in 2014. It was a 3 bolt design so I set the original bolt and washer somewhere that I have yet to find. I’ve always used one bolt camshafts before.
My first intention of this bolt isn’t good enough was to use a new bolt. I can see how this could seem like a “parts wanted” thread but I was initially curious if my replacement bolt and washer would be adequate.
Don't forget to loctite it.

The bolt in your picture looks like the automatic transmission to block bolt except for washer size. Different style head. Cam bolt is not a captured washer bolt.

1 7/16-14 1” G5 and conical washer

1 .48”x1.5”x.135” conical washer

Had markings vary D, RBW, or go grade 8 use lock-tite

You have a greater chance of being hit by lightning than having that pin come loose !!

You have a greater chance of being hit by lightning than having that pin come loose !!
Well, you can take the chance of the pin coming loose to '0' but can't do that with lightning. It's kinda like if you never go outside during a thunder storm you can reduce the chance of being hit by lightning to .000000001% :D and you can do '0' on the cam pin if you never drive the car or capture it behind a washer and still have .000000001%.....maybe. lol

Auto Transport Service
Back