• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Block Mopar Head Preferences

Absolutely. I have compared, ported and flow tested 516, 915, 906, 452, Mopar Performance Stage IV, V, & VI, Stealth, RPM, Victor and Indy EZ heads. I also have 250 and 346 heads on the shelf to compare with the others. None of the runners on ANY of the factory iron heads look anything like the Stealth heads. The Stealth is a far superior design.

Additionally, as erroneously reported by another respondent, the pinch point of the head has about 5% effect on the flow of the factory iron head, and the throat, bowl, short turn radius, guide boss and port height have the other 95% (I am excluding the combustion chamber from consideration).

Should the stealth heads be purchased bare or complete since I can't
finish a bare head myself?

Streetrebel,
I purchased complete but changed springs, locks, and retainers for the specific camshaft I was going to run. I purchased valve train components with cam kit from Comp Cams(741-16 Retainers and 611-16 11/32 locks). Really not enough price break for me not buy complete. If you have a camshaft in mind ask the sales person whether or not they will surfice. I do not install anything without checking components, install height, valve job, and other perimeters. Anything mass produced and assembled will need to be checked before installation. Good luck on your acquisition.

Should the stealth heads be purchased bare or complete since I can't
finish a bare head myself?

Wow, loaded question. It depends upon what you intend to use them for and who you have on your support team. If you intend to buy them and bolt them on you don't have a choice, do you? You would have to purchase them complete. I would not buy them and bolt them on. I have my reasons.

See this, http://forums.moparmusclemagazine.com/70/8232943/general-performance-discussion/440-source-stealth-heads/index.html

This will give you some information to consider. Please note, on the bottom of the second page, that we have ported the Stealths to 346 cfm.

Jim LaRoy
Laroy Engines
Challis, ID

IQ52,
Really impressive numbers! I am currently building a 440/512 pump gas engine. Maybe you can tell me with the pointers on the Stealth head from page two if I will be in the ballpark for making 550-600 hp. The camshaft was chosen for the streetable duration and the lift utilizing the Stealths good .600 flow numbers. Engine components:
Weiand 8009 dual plane
10.5-11.1 compression
Stealth heads with your recommendations
Comp Cams hydraulic roller(Advertised 281/287, @ .050 230/236, 622/625 lift w/1.6, LCA 109, LSA 111)
Holley 950 hp
I want a vehicle I can drive and have fun cruising the streets with minimal maintenance. Very seldom will it see the 1320 but want it prepared in case.

IQ52,
Really impressive numbers! I am currently building a 440/512 pump gas engine. Maybe you can tell me with the pointers on the Stealth head from page two if I will be in the ballpark for making 550-600 hp. The camshaft was chosen for the streetable duration and the lift utilizing the Stealths good .600 flow numbers. Engine components:
Weiand 8009 dual plane
10.5-11.1 compression
Stealth heads with your recommendations
Comp Cams hydraulic roller(Advertised 281/287, @ .050 230/236, 622/625 lift w/1.6, LCA 109, LSA 111)
Holley 950 hp
I want a vehicle I can drive and have fun cruising the streets with minimal maintenance. Very seldom will it see the 1320 but want it prepared in case.

With an OOTB Stealth head (i.e. no clean up and no porting) I think you will see 530-550 hp @ 5,000-5,200 rpm with your combination. Hand blending the Stealth ports to look and flow like the RPM head 550-580 hp @ 5,300-5,400 rpm. 512 ci will suck the unported Stealth head dry long before 6,000 rpm. The rpm of peak horsepower will be around 5,000 rpm and the port limiting velocity will be about 5,800 rpm. I kinda like to average the two. Then figure 2.06 hp/cfm. Any dual plane but the Indy is going to hold a 512 back.

BUT, if you've driven a car with 530-580 horsepower you KNOW what a wild ride that is!

IQ52,
Thanks so much. I understand the dual plane will hinder the combination but I am going for the stock appearance. The Weiand 8009 is the closest look to a stock intake. The combination will more than likely surpass 600 ft lbs of torque and that is king on the street. I have not had a vehicle with that much HP with that small a tire. The car will have 14 X 8 stockton wheels outback and original hubcaps with 275 55 14 Hoosier Quick Time DOTs. The rear is sporting 3.23 gears and sure grip. Should be a fun car to cruise around don't you think?

600 torque for sure and plenty-o-fun!

Not to hi jac this thread.This question is for IQ52.What kind of work and results have you had with the victor maxwedge.My intended use 512,high cr,drag only.Not alot of info or build results for the victors floating around.Looking for thoughts and opinions.Maybe some build results.

I actually have a set at cncport .com getting done, ill write them again today to see what there flow numbers are if you want.

Not to hi jac this thread.This question is for IQ52.What kind of work and results have you had with the victor maxwedge.My intended use 512,high cr,drag only.Not alot of info or build results for the victors floating around.Looking for thoughts and opinions.Maybe some build results.

This was the first set of Victors I ever touched. They can work pretty good.

http://dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,81562.0.html

Okay just got an email, not sure if they went conservative but here's the data:

[email protected]= 340. .6= 366. .7= 381
Exhaust @ 237. 253. 265
Done with a 4" long pipe

Seats on both are at a 45 degree, if you go 50 they say the flow would be greater

I like the Brodix B-1 BS (bracket sportsman) heads...Tom Hemphil machine in Clarcksburgh Pa can set you up with bolt on & go for @2,500.00...that's ARP head studs,Harland Sharp roller rockers,hardened shafts,pushrods,,&required valve springs for your cam...I like what I've seen performance wise & all the factory intake,exhaust bolts right up to them...Tims Toy (68 Charger) runs mid 8's with a somewhat mild 440 & those heads...I'm impressed with them & as soon as the wife ok's it...I will own a set myself.. also I've run the 915's..but modified them for 2.14 int.-1.81 exh. Did bowl+ port work & gasket match..seemed to out perform my 906's that were done the same way-most likely was from the compression bump up...there are a lot of after market heads available now (thank god). Anyone remember the old Brewer heads? Never seen them but heard good things about them..but that was some years ago when aftermarket heads. For our MoPars were like hens teeth....1 more thing..wouldn't the edelbrock performer RPM intake be better than the stealth intake?..I used a stealth on a small block & ended up putting the LD340 back on & selling the stealth..it just plain old sucked...IMO.. good luck & happy hunting

I believe a few places offer the CNC porting for stealth heads. Alot of guys cry that the stealth heads are made in China but I know alot of people using them with no problems. If you want the stock look you cant go wrong with them.
Something for you to consider is the Indy dual plane. It sits a little higher then stock but wow does it flow for a dual plane. I use one on my eng as you can see it here in the pic. You can get then with stock or max wedge ports. With a big enough air cleaner maybe it would pass for stock and I an pretty sure it will outflow the Eddy RPM intake. Ron

100_1753.jpg

The stealthy are cast in China but machined here. I can wait for fire up my beast with mine with a port job and blend done by me first time took my time doing it. Cant wait to take her to the track and see what it does.

Ron, I'm sorry buddy. That's just total badassary. I'm wipin the drool up.

I believe a few places offer the CNC porting for stealth heads. Alot of guys cry that the stealth heads are made in China but I know alot of people using them with no problems. If you want the stock look you cant go wrong with them.
Something for you to consider is the Indy dual plane. It sits a little higher then stock but wow does it flow for a dual plane. I use one on my eng as you can see it here in the pic. You can get then with stock or max wedge ports. With a big enough air cleaner maybe it would pass for stock and I an pretty sure it will outflow the Eddy RPM intake. Ron

100_1753.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back