• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Block Oil Pump Spring Change

RRDon

Local time
2:04 PM
Reaction score
I've been told I can easily change the spring on the oil pump on my 383 without removing the pump itself. It looks tight but I should be able to get the cap off ok but there's not much room behind it. Has anyone done this and how easy (or not) is it? Thanks for any help. RRDon

When the cap comes loose, it doesn't spring out very far. Easy job.

Why are you changing your spring?

Did it on my Hemi car. May help to pull the oil filter to give ya more room.
Very easy.

I assume you can bend or flex it a bit to get it back in. There's barely an inch clearance behind it.

Hope it helps, but I doubt it's a tired spring! That said, I've been running my Bird with less than 10PSI for 30 years.. zero knocks and just like the EverReady bunny !

I changed mine because the pressure was to high for my liking. Over 90 cold and 60 at idle hot.
Now 25 at hot idle, 55 at 2000 cruise speed.

Hope it helps, but I doubt it's a tired spring! That said, I've been running my Bird with less than 10PSI for 30 years.. zero knocks and just like the EverReady bunny !
Hmmm, I suspect your gauge may be partially plugged up and not reading correctly. Less than 10 psi is waaaay below safe operating range. Recommend checking factory specs for oil pressure.

Hmmm, I suspect your gauge may be partially plugged up and not reading correctly. Less than 10 psi is waaaay below safe operating range. Recommend checking factory specs for oil pressure.
Nothing wrong with my gauge... flow is sometimes more important than pressure.

52 years old, tired, worn out, low pressure (not me, the spring!) ;)

A stiffer spring won't raise the warm oil pressure, only an overhaul or a high volume pump will.

Nothing wrong with my gauge... flow is sometimes more important than pressure.

I'm presuming that is at an idle. If pressure does up off idle, that's probably fine.

A stiffer spring won't raise the warm oil pressure, only an overhaul or a high volume pump will.

My experiance, it's never the spring. I guess it could happen, or the relief valve could get hung-up.

The pump rotors do wear, so somtimes just a new standard pump will bring the pressure up. There was a time when you could buy replacement rotors from Mopar.

Yes the spring is getting old Lol, you can use same one and put a 5/16"(?) lockwasher between the spring and the cap. 10-15#

Don't know about stiffer, but longer, whether it is actually longer or shimmed with small washers, definitely will raise the cold/warm oil pressure...

Don't know about stiffer, but longer, whether it is actually longer or shimmed with small washers, definitely will raise the cold/warm oil pressure...

only assuming that the low oil pressure is due to the relief valve being open, which I've never seen to be the case. If the oil pressure is low at idle the spring wont help. If its low at 40 mph because the relief valve is open, a stiffer/longer/shimmed spring would help

Auto Transport Service
Back