• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Cocke build

Yeah?
I only responded that way based on my single experience with mine. The Firm Feel I had had that free play in the center of travel that was really annoying. The Borgeson does not. Sorry that you had bad luck.
Without the fast ratio arms, the slip inter steering probably isn’t as noticeable.
I’ve never had a “slop” issue with my Firm Feel boxes, but they have either been new or very low mileage (less than 20K miles) cores.

As of right now, my biggest challenge is the tailpipes, with the Hotchkis rear sway bar and wide 66-67 Fuel Tank there is not much real estate available.

No slop at all? You must be one of the lucky ones. Just about everyone that I know of that has had a Mopar with power steering is keenly aware of the 11 to 1 slop that these steering boxes has. Articles have been written about it. Firm Feel does what they can with these units but there is only so much that they can do.
Going down the road, you're able to saw back and forth from the 11:00 position to the 1:00 position and the car stays going straight ahead.

Borg 23.jpg

Borg 24.jpg

Borg 25.jpg

If you don't have this free play in yours, that is really fortunate. My Firm Feel Stage 3 had 14,000 miles on it for these pictures and had been adjusted a few times to get as much of the slop out as possible. I have 3 other power steering cars here that have similar slop. My '75 Power Wagon has a Saginaw steering box as did other trucks of this era . The response is almost instant even on an original 47 year old truck! The whole reason that I swapped to the Borgeson in my Charger was because I love to drive curvy roads as well and crossing over through that slop was really annoying.
Cheers!

No slop at all? You must be one of the lucky ones. Just about everyone that I know of that has had a Mopar with power steering is keenly aware of the 11 to 1 slop that these steering boxes has. Articles have been written about it. Firm Feel does what they can with these units but there is only so much that they can do.
Going down the road, you're able to saw back and forth from the 11:00 position to the 1:00 position and the car stays going straight ahead.

View attachment 1313475
View attachment 1313476
View attachment 1313477
If you don't have this free play in yours, that is really fortunate. My Firm Feel Stage 3 had 14,000 miles on it for these pictures and had been adjusted a few times to get as much of the slop out as possible. I have 3 other power steering cars here that have similar slop. My '75 Power Wagon has a Saginaw steering box as did other trucks of this era . The response is almost instant even on an original 47 year old truck! The whole reason that I swapped to the Borgeson in my Charger was because I love to drive curvy roads as well and crossing over through that slop was really annoying.
Cheers!
But how many miles did your core have? My latest core only had 4000 miles on it it’s been in my stockpile since 1983.

Miles? Who knows. They operate on an exchange basis unless you specify to have your own rebuilt, right?
Part of my point is that eventually, they all will develop the center travel slop. If yours doesn't have it, that is rare and fortunate for you.
I've put less than 20,000 miles on my Charger since I bought it in 2000 so if you're anything like me, you will probably not drive the car enough to see the slop that mine and others have had.

Nice gen 1 Calif. Charger, I like the build style too

cool Calif. Coronet waiting in the wings too :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Added some much needed aero today. The addition of the front and rear spoilers combined with the Hotchkis suspension and Firm Feel steering make the ole girl feel planted at 115 MPH. It’s honestly a night and day difference. The Dr Diff stage 3 brakes are confidence inspiring as well

1762DDB5-9DDE-44C0-B5E5-60B30B964FB9.jpeg

C53317A3-C80A-4468-9063-96D84777D939.jpeg

BDD1B47C-28F9-4AD2-9092-ED70A163B9D1.jpeg

6ACF9762-4506-4597-9F46-4CDC5F95A70F.jpeg

98FE5E6F-57F7-48E1-9783-A6BDBBDF8F33.jpeg

8AAAC3B4-6548-49F2-8687-D3C50ECEBE6F.jpeg

Added some much needed aero today. The addition of the front and rear spoilers combined with the Hotchkis suspension and Firm Feel steering make the ole girl feel planted at 115 MPH. It’s honestly a night and day difference. The Dr Diff stage 3 brakes are confidence inspiring as well

View attachment 1321617

View attachment 1321624

View attachment 1321625

View attachment 1321628

View attachment 1321631

View attachment 1321632
The wings look great! They do their job, without taking away from the beautiful body lines.
:thumbsup:

View attachment 1321617

View attachment 1321624

View attachment 1321625

View attachment 1321628

View attachment 1321631

View attachment 1321632
That's excellent, love the look!
Now, can you report back how it feels at say 145?:popcorn:

Next summer when the TFS headed 471 is installed. The poly 318 taps out just over 110
Fair enough, that's cooking pretty good for one of those. Think I just touched 100 with my old 64 semi hemi lol. Memories of sloppy tierods were dancing in my head..:BangHead:

Fair enough, that's cooking pretty good for one of those. Think I just touched 100 with my old 64 semi hemi lol. Memories of sloppy tierods were dancing in my head..:BangHead:
It’s a fresh poly with an Eddy 4 bbl pulls well for what it is. Going to swap it into my daughter’s 53 Plymouth wagon when I pull it from the Charger.

Picked up a rebuilt 833 trans and I’m going to run a Gearvendors behind it. Ordering a Strange Dana 60 with 3.54 gears this week.

3.54, or 3.55, don’t know if the .01 makes a difference, and I’ve seen it both ways, is a great all around gear. Doesn’t give up too much speed, doesn’t give up any acceleration. It’s a Goldilocks ratio.

3.54, or 3.55, don’t know if the .01 makes a difference, and I’ve seen it both ways, is a great all around gear. Doesn’t give up too much speed, doesn’t give up any acceleration. It’s a Goldilocks ratio.
The Dana is a 3.54 and the 8 3/4 is a 3.55. They are virtually identical, the difference is because of the different diameters of the ring gear.

Auto Transport Service
Back