• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biiig inch smallblock

bbodyfan1

Local time
11:07 PM
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has built the largest (according to the book "How to build Big Inch Small Block Mopars") cubic inch small block that is a 476"? I would like to know how affordably this can be done and still take punishment. What parts should I really spend the $ on? The rods, the crank, the heads? All of them mentioned. . . and more? Does this cubic inch recipe start off with the 360? Thanks for any replies.

im pretty sure it is a 340 block. because its a larger bore. I have that book. Haven't been able to afford the engine yet.

Mopar367, do you have to buy a race block 340 to achieve that size engine? What is the largest inch stroker 360 you can get. How much power can you get from a nicely prepped 273-360? Do the 360's share the same outside dimensions as the other LA engines. It's been a while since I read my small block book. Thanks.

You might need to go with the R5 block from mopar. I thought 440 was as large as a small block could go

How expensive are those R blocks? Are they Aluminum? The W's are heads? The R block is a race block? How many cubes can you make with a 340? What is the largest cubic in engine you can make with a non-race block small block? I don't want to spend $3,000. on a block. How much are those 7,8 & 9's?

How expensive are those R blocks? Are they Aluminum? The W's are heads? The R block is a race block? How many cubes can you make with a 340? What is the largest cubic in engine you can make with a non-race block small block? I don't want to spend $3,000. on a block. How much are those 7,8 & 9's?
It's a cast iron siamese bore race block. It will still work on the street no problems. It takes a 4.250 stroke crank. I have the block and crank if you're interested. W9's are cheap, but the porting and chamber work to make them ready to use is expensive. Going fast isn't cheap.

The R blocks are not aluminum, that is a A block, and if you think 3K is a lot forget the A block. You're probably better off seeing a outlaw/silver racer and buying an old motor they're selling for a A block

It doesn't make sense to make a big small block that can't breath, the W-9's are in the $900 area (each), and then you need another $2000+ in work, or you can go one better and get the RPW-9 in the $1000 area (each) and yes another $2800 plus there also.

The bigger the motor the more attention to heads and other areas it needs, and it needs attention everywhere for it to be worthwhile and run good.

How about starting with what you're after here? what is it you have to spend and what performance are you looking for here.

For what you asked be preparred to spend a good 18k or more for a big sb that can be driven good all day

Just get a good old 340 or 360 block and put a 4 inch stroke crank in it. Make 408 or 416 cubic inches. Thats pretty big for a small block. Get some good heads and a roller cam and you are off to the races.

Even then get good heads, even on a 318 with 4" crank you change the breathing needs DRASTICALLY and need much more in the heads

Auto Transport Service
Back