• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bilsteins and PST. Anti sway bar

MMorgan

Local time
10:47 PM
Reaction score
Hi folks, After much reading of the happy dances being done after doing these upgrades, I jumped in the pool. I ordered a set of Bilsteins all around, and started with a PST front anti sway bar. I wanted to do one at a time and see which one made the biggest difference but needed to install “L” bracket on lower shock mount for the sway bar so just kept going. I don’t have enough “Wows” to give! It made my car ride incredibly better. The only issue I had that is worth mentioning was installing the “L” brackets were a bit tricky. Should have been a piece of cake but when you tightened them up it would kick the holes out to about 7 o’clock. Luckily I had seen in an install from a competitor to add a thick washer behind the bracket. It brings it out from the curled edge of the control arm. Then it hung down to the correct angle of the brackets and bar. I did notice cracks in strut bar bushings , that and rear sway are next.

I did notice cracks in strut bar bushings , that and rear sway are next.
Not surprised. I replaced the front strut rods with PST adjustables, and added a rear sway bar with poly bushings. Someone who drove my car couldn't believe how it handled.

My cars came with frint sway bars, since U had nothing to compare to. I added Firm Feel rear bars this spring and was shocked at how much body roll was eliminated.

I have PST adjustable son thier way with the rear sway bar. How did the strut rod swap out go? Any tips?

I have PST adjustable son thier way with the rear sway bar. How did the strut rod swap out go? Any tips?
Yeah, I got a tip on SeaBiscuit in the fourth race. No, seriously, it's a simple job. Although it was alot easier when I was doing this work over 50 years ago. Check the opening in the subframe for any cupping.

By the way, I'm pretty sure my factory front bar is bent and I'd like to find another one to replace it
if anyone still has theirs.

Not surprised. I replaced the front strut rods with PST adjustables, and added a rear sway bar with poly bushings. Someone who drove my car couldn't believe how it handled.
Can I ask the manufacturer and part number of the rear sway bar?
Thanks in advance!

Hi folks, After much reading of the happy dances being done after doing these upgrades, I jumped in the pool. I ordered a set of Bilsteins all around, and started with a PST front anti sway bar. I wanted to do one at a time and see which one made the biggest difference but needed to install “L” bracket on lower shock mount for the sway bar so just kept going. I don’t have enough “Wows” to give! It made my car ride incredibly better. The only issue I had that is worth mentioning was installing the “L” brackets were a bit tricky. Should have been a piece of cake but when you tightened them up it would kick the holes out to about 7 o’clock. Luckily I had seen in an install from a competitor to add a thick washer behind the bracket. It brings it out from the curled edge of the control arm. Then it hung down to the correct angle of the brackets and bar. I did notice cracks in strut bar bushings , that and rear sway are next.
Could you provide the Bilstein part numbers for the front and rears? I went on their site and when I enter my car (69 charger), there are no options for me.
Thanks.

Can I ask the manufacturer and part number of the rear sway bar?
Thanks in advance!
Sorry, I don't remember, I finished this particular car a dozen years ago. And, you don't need Bilsteins, I use regular Monroe/Gabriel shocks.

I had Monroe’s on my coronet, the Bilsteins blew them away. Rides like a new car. I will look up part numbers. The sway bar is made by PST. You can go on thier web sight. And see the one that fits your car.

Here is photos and part numbers . One stop shopping. PST sells the shocks as well. So there may be some sticker shock on the Bilsteins, but once you get past that. You won’t look back . That are amazing in these B Bodies. What I can’t tell you is which of the three made the biggest impact. I wish I would have installed one at a time, and then driven it. For me, I installed the front sway and the shocks first, and it just put a smile on my face. Then did the rear a couple weeks later. Added stability… I just got it aligned yesterday. Drives Sweet!!!!

C0DDC476-B67E-4405-92E0-75038FC6A6AD.png

4ABA6FC9-E637-4768-BF37-057C77A2AB2F.png

E6199F52-973A-45BB-B34A-8D730160F35A.png

I had Monroe’s on my coronet, the Bilsteins blew them away. Rides like a new car. I will look up part numbers. The sway bar is made by PST. You can go on thier web sight. And see the one that fits your car.
To each his own as I say. But I don't think Bilsteins make the car $600 better. I'd venture to say, if you got the rest of the suspension setup correctly, THEN added the Bilsteins, you'd wonder why you wasted all that money for marginal, if any, improvement.

Yep, I get it. My car came with no sway bars and had Monroe’s on it. When I changed them out, I had a bad front and a bad rear shock. With that combination, may be why it was such a big move in the right direction for the Dodge. But I know of many who swear by them ..

Here is photos and part numbers . One stop shopping. PST sells the shocks as well. So there may be some sticker shock on the Bilsteins, but once you get past that. You won’t look back . That are amazing in these B Bodies. What I can’t tell you is which of the three made the biggest impact. I wish I would have installed one at a time, and then driven it. For me, I installed the front sway and the shocks first, and it just put a smile on my face. Then did the rear a couple weeks later. Added stability… I just got it aligned yesterday. Drives Sweet!!!!

View attachment 1521890

View attachment 1521891

View attachment 1521892
Thank you for putting together all the info. for me. It is much appreciated!

Your welcome. There are different suppliers that make sway bars of different sizes and some that are adjustable. This is just what I chose to do. It still gives you a decent ride, yet stops the dips in corners. It worked very well for me. Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back