• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black 72 Roadrunner

tommyg29

Local time
10:48 PM
Reaction score
Picked it up almost 2 months ago now, and she's been a lot of fun since then. Trailered her home from long island, and then the work began. Been dealing with a lot of little things, nothing major, but she's starting to come around. Will post lots of pictures as it progresses. Its far from a restoration. More like a lot of deferred maintenance, repairs and some "upgrades" to make her mine.
She's a real runner, TX9, with a blue interior (which was blacked out by a previous owner) and the original engine with supposedly only 32k miles, but I dont have proof of the miles. The column/console conversion was also done by a prior owner, and I just ground off the shift indicator on the collar. That was a pain in the rump, but it looks pretty good. Still have the inner collar with the shift handle boss, but Ill tackle removing that another day.
Got some new torque thrust rims and rubber coming soon so will post some more pictures then.
:eek:ccasion14:

And a picture of the interior. I just refurbished the instrument panel and painted all the wood grain with the closest thing to argent silver I could find. Also added the hood tach. I love it and it works great. Added a bunch of corny coyote decals I designed and made up. My wife hates em.

I love it...ACME ANVIL CO !!!
I thought the huge "400" didnt look corny enough.
Im gonna run the engine like it is for now, but one day would like to build a 451, keeping it looking as original as possible. Also want to keep stock exhaust manifolds, so that means a 451 might be overkill. I wont be able to push it too much. A solid 400-450hp should be doable. At least enough to back up the new callout.
Today, among a few other things I installed Rob Yules starter relay bypass, and next weekend installing his headlight relays. Must-do's for any old mopar in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Been cleaning up the underbody, replacing the tranny cooler lines and some other minor stuff. Very little rust, a few surface spots, but cleaned up whatever I found, and used eastmans rust converter and chassis black. The car is solid, but at some point I think the front rad support was replaced since I cant find a vin number on it, and of course it doesnt have the original grille. Im pretty sure the passenger quarter was replaced at some point too.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, she's very friendly. She waves at everyone with the passenger door. See first picture up top.
lol

Last edited:
Looks sinister. very cool

Sweet Runner. Looks kind of nasty with that black on black. Keep us in the loop.

Got the new wheels on the other day. Fit and look great.
Probably spent well over 100 hours working on all kinds of things with it since I brought er home 2 months ago. The flurry of a new relationship.

car looks badass!!!! I love the decals and i always love a black car with the black callouts and strobe stripes!

And a couple more after a good wash

1pNRJAG.gif

So pretty.

Nice car, not too many black with blue interiors.

Here is my 72 SSP, original TX9 with B5 interior.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 638
  • 010.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 650
  • DSC00274.JPG
    DSC00274.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 627
That thing is just badass... Is that hood tach an actual mopar thing? I always thought that was a Pontiac thing?

That thing is just badass... Is that hood tach an actual mopar thing? I always thought that was a Pontiac thing?

It was available as "hustle stuff". I bought a new digital version (and more reliable) of the Dixco tach, and yes it was found more on pontiacs and mustangs too, but it was one of those period type things. Since I dont have a tach in dash, I thought it would be great, and I love it.
Picture of what came in the box, and what it looks like at night. Its always lighted. And a brochure I found online from hamtramck-historical.com

- - - Updated - - -

Trunk decal I made. I saw a real similar image online so I "stole" the idea for myself with a few minor mods to it and thought it would look good opposite the bird decal.
I'll peel it off when I come up with another stupid idea lol

Auto Transport Service
Back