• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Oxide and RPM (Rust Preventive Magic) Combo??

That’s awesome, the parts look really good and details like that are going to take your build to a higher level. Keep up the good work…

Thanks Mark. Taking me long enough though. Like I said to the guys at work..."Where do I stop??"

Never. Not going to go out in any blizzards or the likes. But certainly going to drive it. I hope. :praying:

Never. Not going to go out in any blizzards or the likes. But certainly going to drive it. I hope. :praying:

I end up driving in the rain once or twice every summer, it’s just part of the deal.

It rained 5 times the day Car Craft shot the GTX. I’m not talking sprinkles here, there were garbage cans floating down the street. It was a memorable day for a lot of reasons…

I end up driving in the rain once or twice every summer, it’s just part of the deal.

It rained 5 times the day Car Craft shot the GTX. I’m not talking sprinkles here, there were garbage cans floating down the street. It was a memorable day for a lot of reasons…
Oh yeah those showers pop up from time to time. Never planned.

Back at it tonight for a bit. Rear inner splash shield bots and screws. A bit of nickel plating and black phosphate dipping.

before2.jpg

after.jpg

after2.jpg

Now what am I going to do with all them spray paint cans??
Actually the nickel plating cost is about 30 bucks Canadian. The Caswell stuff and the jug of WD-40 costs were about 150. I would love to pick up some of the chromate stuff to turn the nickel plating that golden yellowish coating on some bolts and brackets. They won't sell it up here in Canada separately. You have to buy the kit. You can get the stuff in the good ole US of A by itself for about 40 American. They call it yellow Chromate.
Same amount of work. Cleaning, blasting, spray with brake clean. Dip and go or plate and go. But it does take about 1/2 hour to plate a couple of bolts with my old ac/dc adapter from a ancient calculator from way back when i was in junior high.

Now what am I going to do with all them spray paint cans??
Actually the nickel plating cost is about 30 bucks Canadian. The Caswell stuff and the jug of WD-40 costs were about 150. I would love to pick up some of the chromate stuff to turn the nickel plating that golden yellowish coating on some bolts and brackets. They won't sell it up here in Canada separately. You have to buy the kit. You can get the stuff in the good ole US of A by itself for about 40 American. They call it yellow Chromate.
Same amount of work. Cleaning, blasting, spray with brake clean. Dip and go or plate and go. But it does take about 1/2 hour to plate a couple of bolts with my old ac/dc adapter from a ancient calculator from way back when i was in junior high.
I remember ten years ago on this forum when 43tutor posted about home brew plating, he listed the ingredients and the recipe. I found sodium dichromate on ebay at the time and bought it. But it doesn't seem to be easily available there now. Something like this: Sodium Dichromate Na2Cr2O7 – Good Grade > 99% Purity – CAS: 7789-12-0 – Amertek

I still have his instructions though.

So that is the agent you need to dye /stain the nickel/zinc golden yellow ??

What else do you need? Fairly simple or do you need heaters and the like?? I seen the stuff they use in England os real simple just dip and let dry, from what I understand

The original instructions involved distilled water, battery acid and the sodium dichromate. I'm not sure how effective it is on nickel, the instructions were for zinc. This is a link to the original post:

121068-63253791e7eb87050175692a7b124611.jpg

Thanks for the lead! Long weekend. Research will be done.
Thanks Photon.

Been a few months thought I would throw in a little update. I wasn't a fan of the zinc process hence a lot of nickel plating being done. Well i picked up one of those benchtop power supplies, and a little coffee cup heater to heat up the acetate. Well I gave the zinc another go seeing as I can adjust the amps now. I think my power adapter was putting out too much power giving the finish a really dull finish. Anyway I give it another try this afternoon and was quite impressed. I still gave it a little brush with scotch pad then a slight polish with some Mothers. I was really happy with the results. Here's a picture of two of my center cap retaining springs/clips for the Roadrunner. One done and one not touched. They both looked the same at around 3 pm this afternoon. I also did a washer for the rear shocks.

zinc finish.jpg

Here's a shot of the new set up. Hot plate on the side brings it up to temp, then the warmer takes over. The cup warmer can bring it up to the 60*C but takes too long. That's a good temp for plating nickel and zinc. Also using a cheap aquarium pup to add some agitation for evener plating.

new plating setup.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back