• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

black thumb buttons

eldubb440

more miracles than Jesus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
digging through a box of GTX stuff I had packed away for over 20 years, I found a old/new set of door handles (in Mopar packaging) I bought back in the day......my original GTX door handles were with them, and I remembered the black thumb buttons. I will transfer them to the new handles when the time comes.....

anyway, what was up with the black buttons? was this a trim package thing?

:poke: :lol:

This thread is useless without pics.gif

lol, I ran out to the shop for your pic, now you want part numbers?

on the handles with black buttons? probably the same as the chrome ones, the button easily swaps
Sorry, just curious as you are.

I remember the black buttons nicely complimented the GG1 green with the black vinyl top :monkeyleft:

Those door handles were used in dodge trucks until the early 90s ....just different color button....and the part on the back is different that activates rod .... thanks Steve

I may be reaching here, but I remember that Baby Blue (my unrestored '68) had the black bottons originally, as does my current '69, which was an early build car. My first '69 was an April build, and had chrome buttons. My survivor 1970 had chrome as well. Perhaps the buttons were changed along with the air cleaner pie tin color - earlier cars had red, later ones orange. Don't have any documentation, just speaking from the cars I've owned. I put a pair of NOS chrome button handles on Baby Blue during a repaint in 1985, and it took some minor jiggering with the attachments to make them work.

All 1970 models had chrome.
The switch from black plastic to chrome was mid year 1969.
I like the look of the black buttons over the chrome but not enough to pull my handles and switch them over.

Not sure why the difference, but I owned a 68 gts 340 car gold in colour that had black buttons also a red 340 swinger with the black buttons. The current red 340 swinger I own has the chrome ones. I believe all three cars were built in Hamtramck. Never found anyone who could give me a diffinitive answer.

My 68 Coronet R/T has black buttons. My 68 Coronet 4 door has chrome buttons (pretty sure they have not been swapped).

I believe early 69 an older were black buttons. Late 69 thru 70 were chrome. All of my 70 cars are chrome.

Auto Transport Service
Back