• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blinker staying solid not blinking

OzCharger69

Local time
1:55 AM
Reaction score
Hello electric gurus,

I am in need of some help

I have this issue with my 69 charger. Not so long ago, I changed all bulbs to LEDs. I do have a Dakota digital dash. The flasher is an electronic flasher (LED compatible)

After I changed all bulbs to LEDs, the blinkers worked fine. A few months ago, the right blinker stopped flashing and went to a solid colour, when engaged, while the left blinker kept flashing, when engaged. I took the old flasher relay out and bought a new 2 pin flasher relay that's LED compatible. With the new one, the blinkers were solid (no flashing) both left and right. I then put the old flasher relay in and now both left and right blinkers won't flash, they just light up solid.

Any help would be appreciated, it's not getting too safe on the roads with people not knowing where I'm turning.

656452FE-F9F3-4CBA-854A-60699BCFB4B9.jpeg

Man I’m not up on led bulbs but I sent an old girlfriend in for some blinker fluid back in high school. She was really ditsy and really pissed when she came out from the parts store. To this day when I see her in passing she won’t speak to me

Possibly one of the LED lamps has a bad driver, and is drawing excess current.

Or, there maybe a simple wiring issue in the bodywork - shorted cable (bare copper touch the steel bodywork), or a bad switch.

I don't think your blinker fluid level is a problem this time.

you should never have to "add" blinker fluid.....If you're low on blinker fluid, you have bigger problems

Hello electric gurus,

I am in need of some help

I have this issue with my 69 charger. Not so long ago, I changed all bulbs to LEDs. I do have a Dakota digital dash. The flasher is an electronic flasher (LED compatible)

After I changed all bulbs to LEDs, the blinkers worked fine. A few months ago, the right blinker stopped flashing and went to a solid colour, when engaged, while the left blinker kept flashing, when engaged. I took the old flasher relay out and bought a new 2 pin flasher relay that's LED compatible. With the new one, the blinkers were solid (no flashing) both left and right. I then put the old flasher relay in and now both left and right blinkers won't flash, they just light up solid.

Any help would be appreciated, it's not getting too safe on the roads with people not knowing where I'm turning.

Which flasher relay? A test light from ground to the flasher out terminal should flash the test light. Might want to check current draw. Remove flasher and connect amp meter to the connections where the flasher plugs in, and try the turn signals to see how much current they draw. I have only used the flasher module that has the ground pigtail with LED lights.

Aah, blinker fluid. In high school we had a substitute in our auto tech class. She mentioned her car was in the shop, me being the smart *** I am, and the only one that can keep a straight face, asked what it was doing, said yep that sounds like a very little known maintenance item, blinker fluid. Told her to not let the service techs talk you out of it, they’re going to act like your stupid, but trust me. When the shop teacher was back the next day, he was trying to be upset that I was “rude” to her, but he couldn’t stop laughing.
:rofl:

Check that the dash is grounded, then check the ground a second time. Also check the ground at the front and rear tail light sockets. I had the same issue - everything worked fine, then I did some dash work and things then went haywire. Improper grounding is the #1 problem when it comes to 12v issues.

LED lights draw much less current than the original bulbs. Flashers need the current draw to make them heat up and rhythmically open the circuit. Without the heat due to high current draws, the flasher never opens the circuit. Hence, it doesn’t flash any more. I understand that there are special flasher units made to correct this for use with LED bulbs. That’s what you need to change (assuming nothing else is wrong).

All or none blink? Bad ground is a common thing.

All or none blink? Bad ground is a common thing.
No blink at all, a solid lit up bulb is all I get.

Thanks all for your replies,

I will check all the above. I would have thought that if I had a bad ground the bulb wouldn't light at all.

No blink at all, a solid lit up bulb is all I get.

Thanks all for your replies,

I will check all the above. I would have thought that if I had a bad ground the bulb wouldn't light at all.
The indicator will light but not the bulb. A bad ground can make the front bulb light and the back one not.

Auto Transport Service
Back