• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Block from Bulldog Performance

So what options do guys who want new 426 Hemi blocks have at the moment, KB??
Is Bulldog, getting blocks cast at same place as the Callies/Energy(FCA licensed) block are to come from?

what options do guys who want new 426 Hemi blocks have at the moment
Technically, the ones I know of NOW are Bill Mitchell Products (aluminum only), Indy (aluminum) Bulldog (in iron).
Out of those 3, I'd get the BMP block, and I did in fact put $500 down on a RB aluminum block from BMP.

I want an iron block, with all the issues Bulldog is OUT!!!
Anyone hear when the new Callies/energy blocks will be out, not that I will have the cash by then, LOL.

I guess I will have to wait.
How much of a lead time for your block?
Are they cast in the USA, or over seas?

I guess I will have to wait.
How much of a lead time for your block?
Are they cast in the USA, or over seas?
If you are referring to the BMP aluminum block, cast in the USA although I never asked, I'm pretty sure about that. If you call Bill Mitchell Products and ask, post the answer please.
I know that with all of the problems reported by people I trust explicitly, like IQ52 Jim Laroy, and others, who have reported the massive amount of "corrective machining" required for the Indy block, and the horror stories about finished blocks and engines from Indy, and I don't see how Bulldog is going to make it, and I take no pleasure in saying that, I hope they are successful, but between being late on delivery, bad blocks from a "change in ownership" at the foundry, and not returning the emails from late January from a customer who paid in full, especially after promising to do so, there's no way I would give them a look, much less my money.
The place I'm dealing with for the BMP block AND the build is a Godsend to me. Jim Laroy has engines to finish and hasn't and won't take any more business as he wants to retire, so it was really hard for someone like me to have confidence in finding a builder. I'm sure there are others out there, but I have had all positive experiences with the shop I have my BMP block ordered through, I've bought stuff from them in the interim, and they LOVE Mopar people and have a depth of experience with Mopar like few do, and in my opinion, that matter and makes a difference in the ultimate performance of a Mopar build because of the unique properties of Mopar engine design, like the larger diameter lifters allowing for a more aggressive cam profile. If a builder doesn't know that and design a cam and valvetrain around that, I believe they leave power on the table.

You bring up super important issues, for a guy like me, who saved his bread for years to get another 69 Charger, and I will have to save for a few more to buy and build a 426 Hemi, I cant afford to make bad decisions, LOL!!!
When and if I do buy a new 426 block, I need it go go flawlessly.
My goal is just a iron block, rock solid reliable 426 street Hemi.
I may go for Edelbrock or aftermarket aluminum heads, but honestly, I have not even day dreamed that far, yet!!:lol:

Unless one of those aluminum blocks fell on Richard Bradshaw's fingers, and that's the reason why he can't return multiple email inquiries from a paid customer from Germany who hasn't heard ANYTHING from Bradshaw since the end of January, Bradshaw who told me on the phone that he knew the customer I was referring to (I called him to let him know he has an upset customer who is posting negative feedback on the FBBO forum) and that he would email him that day, there's no excuse.
@BIGWILLI Have you heard anything from him yet?
EDIT: Bradshaw finally got in touch with the client and is refunding his money.

Last edited:
The website still says "aluminum block available late 2018"....
Yeah, REAL late...

That mopar connection article just making excuses. MO.
That's possible. Willie, the guy from Germany and I both posted about the lack of communication on the comments section of the article. The author responded.

That mopar connection article just making excuses. MO.

I agree, it seams to fluff the issues off, as if its no big deal, well I bet the guys who put money into the batch of weak/bad blocks that they received, think its a big deal and are not so happy.

JUST my thoughts: I totally understand things happen, and that the Bulldog guy, Dick, isnt casting these blocks at his house. But keeping the customers informed is a big part of it, makes people feel less like they are getting "taken".
I am also aware no one wants to have to call customers with bad news and listen to them complain, but letting the customer vent, and keeping them informed and in the loop is part of the job, a less glorious part, but it is part of it.

Last edited:
But keeping the customers informed is a big part of it, makes people feel less like they getting "taken".
Right...
NO communication makes people think the WORST case scenario is at hand!
I got involved in the issue between Richard Bradshaw aka Bulldog and his customer BIGWILLI because I didn't want Bradshaw to get negative comments on the interwebs, but I also saw his client's perspective.
Now that that is resolved, the client wants an Iron Hemi block from Callies...
By the time that happens, I should have my BMP block at the builder, and hopefully I'll have been able to afford some of the goodies going into the build.

WAY off topic, but is the huge cost involved in casting engine blocks, the actual casting process, or in machining the raw block afterward?

This also may be a stupid question, but I have no experience with using a CNC machine, so with all the computer controlled machining and laser scanning available, could a block be cut from a huge billet of aluminum?
I guess a part 2 to the question would be, is it just not cost effective to do so?
(ie the cost of a huge billet blank, or the process itself)

Side note, I am also waiting for the Callies/Energy FCA licensed blocks to arrive, with any luck, one will arrive (with huge discount or free of charge??!!!) in my Charger's engine bay.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
.....I know it sucks for folks out there looking for a HEMI block and not being able to get one for a reasonable price.

Side note, I am also waiting for the Callies/Energy FCA licensed blocks to arrive, with any luck, one will arrive (with huge discount or free of charge??!!!) in my Charger's engine bay.
Didn't you learn there's no Santa Claus. Sorry to tell you.:lol:
Was wondering if you had a 4.50" bore block that was bored to the max. Say 4.560 or to the point cylinder walls were to thin. Could you put 8 sleeves in to make the block a 4.25" bore. I don't see why not but would like opinions.

I currently have no Hemi blocks, and now that, I cant count on Santa, It may be a bit, before I get one, LOL!!:thumbsup:

I have a gen3 5.7 Short block, and a 440 from a motorhome, as far as engines not in vehicles.
I had day dreamed about maybe putting Hemi heads on a RB, but I think in the long run, I will be ahead of the game, just getting the correct block.
Even the Stave V conversion is $$$$.
My 69 Charger runs good (383) and I am still doing work to her, so I have time, to build my Hemi. or maybe a gen3 to 426?

Auto Transport Service
Back