• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blown 440 for street/strip

32PB

Local time
2:01 AM
Reaction score
Just in the process of assembling my engine. 440 , factory block, stealth heads, 671 huffer. First time with forced induction. Wondering if any racers on here have experience they may want to share on gaskets/sealing when making boost. Thinking Cometic head gaskets and just good felpro gaskets everywhere else. Main concern is with rear main seal, as ive had issues there in past. Would a rope seal be a better or worse idea in a boosted application?

Any experience and suggestions will be appreciated. TY, Paul

I've had a blown 340 since 1985. If it doesn't run into detonation the Fel Pros work fine. Keep the total timing around 30 degrees and you should be OK. Water injection in a nice feature for pump gas to ward off detonation. Make sure you have a BIG radiator and good fan. Blown motors make heat.
Good Luck Doug

Attachments

• IMG_7816.JPG
    IMG_7816.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 198
I've had a blown 340 since 1985. If it doesn't run into detonation the Fel Pros work fine. Keep the total timing around 30 degrees and you should be OK. Water injection in a nice feature for pump gas to ward off detonation. Make sure you have a BIG radiator and good fan. Blown motors make heat.
Good Luck Doug

Thanks Doug, I am concerned about keeping it cool. Small radiator and Ive had issues in the past with over heating. Trying a slightly larger rad (all that current rad shroud will allow), in aluminum this time.

By the way, you're set up looks very Kool! I imagine the blower must work well with the w2 heads. I use to race a 340 duster that I put w2's on and couldn't believe the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_2814.jpg
    IMG_2814.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 175
Thanks Doug, I am concerned about keeping it cool. Small radiator and Ive had issues in the past with over heating. Trying a slightly larger rad (all that current rad shroud will allow), in aluminum this time.

By the way, you're set up looks very Kool! I imagine the blower must work well with the w2 heads. I use to race a 340 duster that I put w2's on and couldn't believe the difference.
Not W-2, Headers are W-2. Made a set of adapters. Car runs 11.0 in street trim at 3875lbs.
340,home ported 308 iron heads .550 cam, 8-1.
Doug

Attachments

• RR at Milan.jpg
    RR at Milan.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 161
Auto Transport Service
Back