• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blown Gasket

Joe Mopar

Local time
6:56 AM
Reaction score
Seems like I have an exhaust leak coming from the right side header. I'm trying to find out what the best exhaust manifold / header gasket is.

I want to go out tomorrow a.m. and try to find a good set of gaskets so any feedback on this would be helpful.

Engine in my car is a 440 c.i.

Thanks,

Joe

I,m runnin aluminum heads...So i,m using edelbrocks gaskets..For steel heads alot of guys will use the metal copper gaskets...Both you can get from summit..
Petty Blue 67 gTx

I've had luck with the Felpro exhaust gasket "stock type", of all things..... I just realy tighten them down good starting from the center working outwards. I have them on aluminum heads too! Nothing leaking yet....

I have had great success using the ultra copper orange high temp silicone on the standard asbestos header gaskets. I put a thick bead and let it tack for a few minutes before I crank it down. I use a split lock washer under every bolt, and together with flat header flanges, that sets you up for a leak free system. On my old 68 Mustang I used the orange silicone only without gaskets at the head and collector. Never a leak.

I installed Remflex carbon gaskets two years ago, no leaks since and I've never had to retighten teh header bolts.

Auto Transport Service
Back