• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blown tranny now. Honestly, what next?

See what happens when I read the new post without scrolling up & figuring out the whole scenario..

Manual valve is attached... Did you try shifting to neutral & see if the car would roll? Or now that the pan is off have someone shift it while you visually verify the internal linkage is moving...
The pressure regulator is in place & doesn't appear to be stuck.. Gotta wonder if the front pump drive tangs got damaged...

I checked the gear lever while I had the pan off. No issues with that. Before jacking I had checked the gears on the ground. In park I could bounce it against the park pin. Neutral I could roll it wherever I wanted.

I checked the gear lever while I had the pan off. No issues with that. Before jacking I had checked the gears on the ground. In park I could bounce it against the park pin. Neutral I could roll it wherever I wanted.
Unfortunately it sounds like it's coming back out... Like you mentioned earlier it sounds like the pump isn't working which probably means the tangs are gone.... It sucks but it should be an easy fix..

Yeah, I have it all ready to come out. Don Frelier’s son is bringing me his jack and transmission cradle for it tomorrow. Only bellhousing bolts to remove. Transmission support bolts are loose and ready to pull. Everything else is removed.
IMG_3971.jpeg
There might be more work involved by the debris in the pan

There will always be debris in a trans or engine oil pan. It's a fact of life when metal rubs metal or friction material rubs metal. Prob something simple.

I am hopeful that you are correct ! I needed this expense like a hole in the head.

Just had an on going issue with my sons car. Trans started feeling like it was leaving in high gear. But it was definately in 1st. Pulled it apart everything looked great. Sent the converter back, it was fine. Recently we swapped the case from a SB to a BB with another freshened converter. Now it was even worse. This time it quit moving at all, no gears. Pressure checked it. 50psi at the reverse servo in all gears?? No pressure at the KD servo. He pulled the trans apart again, no issues found. Pulled the valve body apart and found a crack in the coverter fill circuit. So the converter wouldn't fill with fluid. I still believe the most likely source of the oringinal posters issue is pump gears. But there are other issues that can cause this condition. I also had one instance where a converter broke and a daily driver p/u truck. It wouldn't move at all.
Doug

scott vb.jpg

vb scott.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that sucks. Glad you found it. What was the cause?
The common cause of that failure is not getting the convertor fully seated or having it slide out partially while installing the trans... Sometimes it'll drive the front pump just based on contact/pressure from the end of the convertor hub... And sometimes the tangs break right away....

When you put TC in put a clamp on lower bellhousing so TC can't slide forward.

Yeah, that is really the only explaination. I know that I had it fully seated before installing. I should have kept the TQ clamp on it. Live and learn....the school of hard knocks curiculum.
The TQ is not the culprit, so unless the transmission is full of crap...I should be able to continue using it. Man have they jumped in price !

Auto Transport Service
Back