• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BluePrint Engines 392 Hemi Interest? Thoughts? Comments?

Johnny Mac

FBBO Vendor
FBBO Sponsor
Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm pretty active over on A-Bodies, but haven't checked in here for a bit. I posted the below over there, and I think since so many B bodies are ending up with Gen III's it's time we start exploring options!

Anyways...As many of you guys know, I'm a big Mopar guy, and have several, and you know i'm always pushing to do more in the mopar market.

Not too dissimilar from the LS market, the gen III Hemi is making its way into many restomods, trucks, drag cars, etc. It doesn't come without its own set of trials, but more and more of these engines are finding their way into builds in place of big blocks, and high po smallblocks. The aftermarket has finally started supporting swaps, and performance parts. But i'm not telling many of you things you don't already know!

Onto some pretty cool things you may not know about! I've had some meetings recently on the viability, and market demands of a gen III. we've discussed everything from a 5.7, to a 426, and I think our most viable option is landing on the 392.

What I'd like to offer is a forged internal 392, somewhere in the high 500 HP area, in a complete turn key configuration, but offer it at a price that's less than, or similar to chryslers 6.4 package.

for conversations sake, lets just say this would be 9K at a complete engine, and 11K as turn key with an ecu/controller/harness.

In comparison to our BluePrint Mopar 408, if i equipped a 470 hp roller 408 with a sniper, It'd be 8600...and people buy them...so i don't think we're nuts at this level. another 100 horse, and factory style MPFI for the difference I think is fair.

Let me answer some FAQ's below on this project, and feel free to weigh in below with your own.

Q: What exactly will the engine be?
A: a 392 (small chance of a 426) stroker gen III hemi with 2009+ cylinder heads and block

Q: What benefits will this have vs the chrysler offerings?
A: Forged internals, more HP, actual tech support. Dyno tested, 30 month warranty, availability, swap oil pan included, more cost effective than the "MP" versions, with premium internals.

Q: Why not do an inexpensive 5.7?
A: We will never win the "inexpensive" battle as a performance engine builder, when compared to a "reman" 5.7, or a used/junkyard takeout. If someone is shopping a hemi from a 150K mile police car, and wants to pin their own harness, and roll the dice with that engine, thats fine in my book, but we can't play in that space profitably, so this is purely aimed at a competitor to the "MP" offerings, and dare i said a replacement for the Mopar Big block.

Q:Will this be OEM MPFI? or aftermarket?
A:At this time, we're leaning toward an aftermarket intake, but using an OEM computer that will be unlocked for future HP tuner use.

------------------

My Questions for you:

Would you consider BluePrint if you were shopping the Gen III market place?
Why, or why not?

Are there any unknowns that prevent you from considering a Gen III?

Anything this engine would need to have, or not have to be attractive?
(like how we will address any and all valve seat, timing chain, etc, issues of the OE hemi)

Open to any questions. I'll be as transparent as I can be at this moment. I realize a crate engine isn't for everyone, let alone a modern powerplant, or something thats 10K, but please appreciate the effort, and willingness to offer something else for the marketplace, and hopefully with your feedback we can see this come to light!

Johnny Mac
BluePrint Engines

I like the idea! ****, you can't build a big block for less than 8K in parts for that level of power unless you scrounge and cheat a bit. I don't think you are that far off for a 500+ horse modern bullitt with fuel injection and a turn key ECU.

I like the idea! ****, you can't build a big block for less than 8K in parts for that level of power unless you scrounge and cheat a bit. I don't think you are that far off for a 500+ horse modern bullitt with fuel injection and a turn key ECU.
Exactly my thoughts. A modern MPFI engine that comes turn key, and weighs less than a SB... at dare i say the same cost of a crate LS GM engine? yeah...I'm loving the idea!

I think you’ve got a win win situation on your hands!

My Questions for you:

Would you consider BluePrint if you were shopping the Gen III market place?
Why, or why not?
Open to any questions. I'll be as transparent as I can be at this moment. I realize a crate engine isn't for everyone, let alone a modern powerplant, or something thats 10K, but please appreciate the effort, and willingness to offer something else for the marketplace, and hopefully with your feedback we can see this come to light!

Johnny Mac
BluePrint Engines

If I was looking at that type of engine, I would most certainly be talking with Johnny about the offerings. Having bought a Sniper equipped 408 crate engine last year, I am more than happy to recommend BluePrint Engines as a reputable and trustworthy supplier. I had plenty of questions and a couple of issues of my own making....and Johnny was always there to help me out.
I really do recommend them for any engine purchase as an option. :thumbsup:

:xscuseless:

upload_2019-8-14_9-13-48.png

upload_2019-8-14_9-18-38.png

:thumbsup:

And how much more would say 600 hp cost and would the 392 block and heads support it without issues? Seems people are starting to scoff at 500 lol

And how much more would say 600 hp cost and would the
And how much more would say 600 hp cost and would the 392 block and heads support it without issues? Seems people are starting to scoff at 500 lol

Hey...itll be mid to high 500's...remember we have to de rate the marketing #'s! Lol
We will see what she does when we get there!
Remember we have to be pump gas, streetable, etc. If we can get 6, we will

If I was looking at that type of engine, I would most certainly be talking with Johnny about the offerings. Having bought a Sniper equipped 408 crate engine last year, I am more than happy to recommend BluePrint Engines as a reputable and trustworthy supplier. I had plenty of questions and a couple of issues of my own making....and Johnny was always there to help me out.
I really do recommend them for any engine purchase as an option. :thumbsup:

:xscuseless:

View attachment 816487

View attachment 816494

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words! My B body hasn't dont much moving lately, so I haven't stopped over here. I need to more often!

Check out the new 408 we are doing Over on this one...

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...gine-pre-release-offer.177644/#post-911331664

If you can get 600 HP in a turn key, street gas, EFI engine, I would be interested. That would go nice in the Duster that I dream of one day building. I bookmarked your website.
Do you have a Youtube page showing your builds and/or dyno time?

If you can get 600 HP in a turn key, street gas, EFI engine, I would be interested. That would go nice in the Duster that I dream of one day building. I bookmarked your website.
We are in the middle of a project to dyno all the individual builds. We do have some on our channel. Thanks for the motivation!

https://m.youtube.com/user/BlueprintEngines

My 408 was Dyno'ed at 503 ft/lb & 447HP....gotta be happy about that. :bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance:

Engine comes with the actual results sheet and a warranty. :thumbsup:

I am looking to replace the tired 338,000 mile 5.7 in my 2007 Ram 1500. I am looking at a few options....A low mile used 5.7, rebuilding my original engine to stock specs, rebuilding my engine using a 4.05 stroke rotating assembly for 394 inches OR buying a stroked 5.7l long block. I need to pass CA emissions which actually means throwing NO engine codes. The testing here for OBD2 vehicles consists of a scan of the computer for active codes, a smoke test and an EVAP test. If the cam is barely over stock, it should run clean enough to NOT trigger the check engine (M.I.L.) I'll retain my intake, injectors, exhaust and all front drive accessories, plus oil pan.
Do you guys offer anything for stock type replacement?

I am looking to replace the tired 338,000 mile 5.7 in my 2007 Ram 1500. I am looking at a few options....A low mile used 5.7, rebuilding my original engine to stock specs, rebuilding my engine using a 4.05 stroke rotating assembly for 394 inches OR buying a stroked 5.7l long block. I need to pass CA emissions which actually means throwing NO engine codes. The testing here for OBD2 vehicles consists of a scan of the computer for active codes, a smoke test and an EVAP test. If the cam is barely over stock, it should run clean enough to NOT trigger the check engine (M.I.L.) I'll retain my intake, injectors, exhaust and all front drive accessories, plus oil pan.
I recommend moving to the Southeast, away from California. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately performance crate engines don't meet modern emissions compliance in CARB states. I know there are tuners out there that can get the vehicle to run with no codes, but if it has to pass sniffer, ECU, and EVAP, you'd know more about your local laws than I. We're a ways out from having an offering anyways, and our first offering will be the later reluctor wheel. so you'd have a few hurdles there also.

Having built a couple of 6.1 Hemi engines and gathering all it takes to install them in an older vehicle, I think that this is a very attractive solution for someone wanting modern Hemi power in a turn key package. Its nice to see a manufacturer focusing on products for our group, thanks!

Let me ask you a question Johnny. How much actual cost difference to you does the difference from 392 to 426 mean? Are you building your own block or? Why not a 440 CI option? You can get low mile pull out 392 chryco engines for $5-7k with ecm's and harness. They come with forged crank, good rods and better pistons than most and ~500 hp of the box. Personally, if I had 11k in my pocket burning a hole, I'd expect a bit more than a matched 392 with an extra 50 hp for the several thousand price tag. I love this whole idea....as a guy who has both rebuilt a 5.7 and installed one in a Coronet, I thoroughly enjoy this engine platform (daily :p). But if the cost of the casting and parts are not severely effected by this idea, I would encourage more displacement.

That said, everything I see, read and hear, Blue print engines has a great reputation. I also hope one day you guys are selling bargain priced updated heads for the 5.7/6.4's. I'd like to put a non VVT 392 in my 04 Ram to spice things up too :p

Auto Transport Service
Back