• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boat Pics

Here’s my 1977 Pantera.
It has a 512 CI big Chevy in it (proud to say not a single GM part is in or on the engine! BBC in architecture only)
Dry sump oiling, dry exhaust, Merlin block, Brodix heads, etc...
Makes 675 on the dyno.

I restored this boat over six years time.

Checkmate is a good boat.
Be sure to check closely for rot.

View attachment 851146 View attachment 851147 View attachment 851148 View attachment 851149 View attachment 851150 View attachment 851151

Yea the nice thing is the boat was never in a slip or in the water long. Always dry storage so its in great shape! Floor is solid too no soft spots.

I raced boats for years,this is my runaboat! 21 challenger with 2 225's

challenger.jpg

Viking setup for Lakeracer class Drag
Voodoo setup for T850 class circuit racing
challenger transom setup, custom built twin hydraulic lift

boat trio.jpg

Back in the 70s I restored a 1956 Thompson 14' runabout with a 1959 35 hp Johnson. It was all wood with a lapstrake hull. I checked every screw/nut holding it together.
Sold it and got a 1965 Dorsett San Juan 19' with a 100 Merc. Redid the insides and polished up all the fiberglass.
I have no pics but the Dorsetts have a cult like following as there aren't too many out there.
Tow vehicle was a 70 Challenger. The boat was bigger than the car.

I work for a company based out of Minnesota, a few years back our team building adventure was a day on Lake Minnetonka, I'd like to say we were on this boat, but nope... However it did pass close by us & I had to snap a picture... Pretty cool I thought... Oh, later we saw it tied up at the Pillsbury mansion boat house/docks...
IMG_0820.JPG

A checkmate is a great boat and were built with quality in mind. I remember well that they were one of the boats to have! If you're looking for a well rounded boat, that would be a good one. Boat are to expensive these days. Picking up a good older boat is the way to go. Most all ran MerCruiser drive train and the only thing that gives away it's age is the color combo of the time.

Be careful when getting into boating. You may get a case of, "two foot itis".
You get it after a person with a larger boat says to you", "Nice little boat".

Be careful when getting into boating. You may get a case of, "two foot itis".
You get it after a person with a larger boat says to you", "Nice little boat".
You're right!! When I had my lake house and being there all the time it was always an issue. The bigger the waves, the bigger the boat!! I use to eat and breath boats. Had my boat in the shoot out races at the lake, in my class, It came down to two boats, a friend of mine and me. I won at 72 miles per hour. That's flat getting with the program on the water.

72 is moving.
Had the Pantera just a tick under 80 (GPS, not the “wishometer”)
And it’s a handful, even with full hydraulic steering.

I know a guy who works the timing system at the Shootout.
Never been to it, they show it on tv.
Looks like a fun time.

1982 Glastron/Carlson CV-23, 260 Mercruiser (350 Chevy) with a 144 Holley Supercharger.
I partially restored this boat 12 years ago, new floor, upholstery and seat components (gelcoat and engine is original except for blower).
I just finished painting the trailer and rebuilt all the brakes, bunks and side panels.

IMG_1094.JPG IMG_1096.JPG Boat 003.jpg Boat 008.jpg Boat 013.jpg IMG_1103.JPG IMG_1073.JPG IMG_1098.JPG

Last edited:
I know a guy who works the timing system at the Shootout.
Never been to it, they show it on tv.
Looks like a fun time.
My friend uses his boat for the officials to monitor the event. It's a 40 foot intercoastal blue water yacht. We go to dinner at a marina and the owner of it owns the place to have fun for him and his friends. They sell 47, 50, foot go fast boats that look like mobile homes. Three engines and a million dollar price tag, used!! Pontoons with 3, 300 hp out boards hanging off the backs. His real business is.... he owned popeye's chicken!! Unreal, I can't even relate to a guy like that. My friend that I go with is a trust baby, never worked and can pour money out of his boots all day long!! My point is, boating is a big money business and getting worse by the day. I sold out and said goodbye!!

A boat...a hole in the water into which you throw money.
I still think about getting a trailer sailer.

A boat...a hole in the water into which you throw money.
I still think about getting a trailer sailer.
All you guys with all those fine boats got me thinking. It's the size that matters...... not! All your boats remind of me of what's right with boating. Guys that work hard on older boats and bring life back to them to see another day. You all do it with your cars and it's what's right with the hobby, fun! I spoke earlier about big guys with big boats and it reminded me of a place that I once loved and was in my opinion destroyed by them. Slap Stick knows of the Lake of the Ozarks and can tell you the same. The Lake, as it's called around here, is 56,000 plus acres of run all day fun that runs for about 95 miles and has as much shore line as the state of California. Big money runs it and pushed we normal people to the side lines. It takes 30 foot of boat now a days just to be on the water on a regular day. Big boats churning the water so deep and hard that it takes 40 foot of boat on a busy day just to keep from getting beat to death. I can't tell you how many times I've seen some rich kid come by my dock mushing a 40 foot cruiser, pushing 5 or 6 foot waves that break everything they hit. They tried to regulate the lake as far as speed and size of boat and big money threw that out the window before it ever got any attention. I woke up one morning at a friends condo and 30 feet in front of me was a 60 foot yacht, the first 30 foot was a glassed in bar that could hold 60 people. It belonged to the Anheuser - Busch family, need I say more! I'm old, I started there with a 15 foot boat and when I left 37 was the number. Just like our cars, the cost is turning what was our game into a game that's hard to get into anymore. Oh well, thanks for letting me vent... Motor on my friends, sorry for hijacking the thread.

IMG_0955.JPG
IMG_0955.JPG

All you guys with all those fine boats got me thinking. It's the size that matters...... not! All your boats remind of me of what's right with boating. Guys that work hard on older boats and bring life back to them to see another day. You all do it with your cars and it's what's right with the hobby, fun! I spoke earlier about big guys with big boats and it reminded me of a place that I once loved and was in my opinion destroyed by them. Slap Stick knows of the Lake of the Ozarks and can tell you the same. The Lake, as it's called around here, is 56,000 plus acres of run all day fun that runs for about 95 miles and has as much shore line as the state of California. Big money runs it and pushed we normal people to the side lines. It takes 30 foot of boat now a days just to be on the water on a regular day. Big boats churning the water so deep and hard that it takes 40 foot of boat on a busy day just to keep from getting beat to death. I can't tell you how many times I've seen some rich kid come by my dock mushing a 40 foot cruiser, pushing 5 or 6 foot waves that break everything they hit. They tried to regulate the lake as far as speed and size of boat and big money threw that out the window before it ever got any attention. I woke up one morning at a friends condo and 30 feet in front of me was a 60 foot yacht, the first 30 foot was a glassed in bar that could hold 60 people. It belonged to the Anheuser - Busch family, need I say more! I'm old, I started there with a 15 foot boat and when I left 37 was the number. Just like our cars, the cost is turning what was our game into a game that's hard to get into anymore. Oh well, thanks for letting me vent... Motor on my friends, sorry for hijacking the thread.
I hear what your saying,my 27' footer looks like a dingy in our marina. To tell you the truth i kind of like it that my,i learned a long time ago that the expression " keep it simple ,stupid" is a valid one( for myself anyway).My boat only has one bbc and will only hit about 34mph,oh well,less fuel the way i see it.It was very well cared for by the previous owners and i got it from a guy who just wanted out. Right time,right place for a change. That boat new is probably about 130k ,mine was 10,500 and it really looks like a newer boat if you didn't know. They have their fun bragging about what they got and how much it was and i have my fun putting around the bay thinking about all the money i saved ( for cars). At the end of the day we're all out on the same water with the same sun with the same capacity to have fun or not ,it's all in how ya do it.

Auto Transport Service
Back