• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bolt size

Red63440

Local time
9:21 PM
Reaction score
What is the socket size needed to tighten the bolt that holds the vibration dampener on a BB? On the road on my way home from a visit with my kids.
Thanks!

As long as it's a factory bolt!
Some aftermarket bolts use a different size.

Get some threaded rod and a nut or a small block bolt too. Helps pull it in far enough to get the short big block bolt to engage.

It’s in far enough to engage but I want to get an impact or breaker bar on it to pull it the rest of the way in, still needs to go in about 1/4”.
I may take it back off and clean it up a little more and use a little oil on it.

Pulling it on with the factory bolt is NOT a good idea. You're asking for a stripped crank.
As above, i got some fine thread 3/4 all thread, bottom it in the crank, then a nut and some BIG washers. Grease em all up, then pull the balancer on. That way you are not pulling on just a few of the crank threads.

Pulling it on with the factory bolt is NOT a good idea. You're asking for a stripped crank.
As above, i got some fine thread 3/4 all thread, bottom it in the crank, then a nut and some BIG washers. Grease em all up, then pull the balancer on. That way you are not pulling on just a few of the crank threads.
Good answer and it would not hurt to apply some anti seize on the shaft as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back