• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering bolt not threading in or out.

jmbass98

Local time
2:53 AM
Reaction score
Am I missing something with this bolt? Trying to get a new power steering pump back in and this bolt won't budge either way (loosen or tighten), so I can't tighten it back in or loosen it out far enough to get the bracket out.

'66 Charger.

20231027_155806.jpg

20231027_155813.jpg

Sounds like the threads are galled. Try getting some penetrant lube and work it.

That is a thru-bolt, and should have a nut on the back. It could be tight to pull out depending on dirt/rust, and alignment thru the rear bracket hole.

It does have a nut on the back (it should be on the rear bracket, correct?). As far as I can tell the bolt hasn't cleared the nut yet as I can't remove that rear bracket.

That is a thru-bolt, and should have a nut on the back. It could be tight to pull out depending on dirt/rust, and alignment thru the rear bracket hole.
How do you recommend pulling the bolt if it's just stuck in and not threaded?

My impact wrench won't fit, gonna have to buy a smaller one tomorrow to see if that does anything.

You can try putting vice grips on it and sliding a pry bar beneath them close to the bolt head.
A heat gun might help as well.

You can try putting vice grips on it and sliding a pry bar beneath them close to the bolt head.
A heat gun might help as well.
Yup, heat/lube/BFSI (Brute Force & Sheer Ignorance) Try to focus the Brute force on the bolt & not your fingers.... DAMHIK..

After you get the bolt out clean the hole. I'd mount the pump on bracelet before installing on engine.

It looks to me like the A/C bracket might be putting a shear force on the bolt. Try prying up or down on the A/C compressor while removing the bolt.

Compressor isn't budging so I don't think it's weighdown from the bracket. Heading to Home Depot right now to see if a power ratchet will do the trick.

It's just going to spin, it is out of the nut.
Like posted above just yank it out.
Slip a closed 9/16 wrench over the head and hit the wrench handle or pull on the wrench while spinning it out.

Auto Transport Service
Back