• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bosch Spark Plugs

Canadian1968CoronetR/T

Local time
3:46 PM
Reaction score
I have been told to run Bosch plugs in my 1968 440 R/T, their are different models of plugs which one's should I pick up. Is one of their plugs better for the car than the other.
Looking for performance and power??

Avoid Bosch plugs, they're junk, just go with an NGK

i've used 4036's without issue. autolite 85's work fine in a street car, with factory iron heads. my favorites are the champion j11y.

I use bosch platnum plugs and hands down they are the best plug I've ever used !! I seen people say they are junk but these are the same people that think they are supposed to change plugs every time they do an oil change or have a fuel filter clog! I bought my 01 Dakota brand new and changed the plugs six months after I got the truck to the bosch platnums , I'm still driving my Dakota and it still has the same plugs!! I take them out every now and then to check them out and then right back in. I've never had any other plugs last any where close to the bosch set. My truck has almost 300,000 miles on it and it has a 4.7 litre. Bosch plugs are the only plug for me.

I prefer NGKs too, but quite frankly I've had good luck with almost everything except Champions.

If you are looking for performance and power, its gonna take more than a spark plug change. What has been done to the engine? Or is it basically stock?

I use bosch platnum plugs and hands down they are the best plug I've ever used !! I seen people say they are junk but these are the same people that think they are supposed to change plugs every time they do an oil change or have a fuel filter clog! I bought my 01 Dakota brand new and changed the plugs six months after I got the truck to the bosch platnums , I'm still driving my Dakota and it still has the same plugs!! I take them out every now and then to check them out and then right back in. I've never had any other plugs last any where close to the bosch set. My truck has almost 300,000 miles on it and it has a 4.7 litre. Bosch plugs are the only plug for me.

Well Mike, you're casting an awfully wide net on people that don't like Bosch plugs.
Do a quick goggle search and I think you'll see why so many people dislike Bosch plugs and they are NOT an isolated incident. I think its pretty clear when I changed plugs on a 350k mile PT from NGK to Bosch and car ran like total crap, switched back to NGK, no problems, ran great. Had it happen several times on several vehicles (and yes even an 01 Dakota w/360)
use them at your own risk, but don't take it from me- I'm just a nut ball that changes plugs and filters when I perform routine maintence lol.

i can't count how many cars came into the shop with misfires that someone had just put bosch plugs in,replace them with REAL spark plugs & cars ran perfect...

Well from my experience I've never had one issue with my plugs, my 4.7 doesn't run a dizzy or have plug wires its all computer control.I'm not trying to step on toes but if I had a dollar for the times people chuck good plugs for no reason at all, well that's a lot of money adding up quick. I say run what you like best but at this stage with my bosch plugs, just because they didn't run for you doesn't mean I'm running at a risk. When was last time you had a set of plugs last 13 years!

While on the subject of spark plugs---I haven't had a high performance car (street driven) with 11;1 or more compression since the early 70's If we chugged around town for an evening, it would carbon up and have to "blow the cobs out of it" With todays fuel ( pump gas) will I have that problem? 440 engine with 9.5:1 compression..........................MO

NGK in everything. MSD wires. I run points and condenser 45,000 volt balasted coil. Platinum the points at a jeweler. (Freebie)

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong heat range and wrong gap is why people hate a plug or not 99 percent of the time. NGK will fire in conditions other plugs like champions won't, Bosch like a bit tighter gap and lean fuel mix. From decades of pull starting several 1970's crica Arctic Cat and kick starting 15 to 1 compression KX 250's

Well from my experience I've never had one issue with my plugs, my 4.7 doesn't run a dizzy or have plug wires its all computer control.I'm not trying to step on toes but if I had a dollar for the times people chuck good plugs for no reason at all, well that's a lot of money adding up quick. I say run what you like best but at this stage with my bosch plugs, just because they didn't run for you doesn't mean I'm running at a risk. When was last time you had a set of plugs last 13 years!

Def run what ya like, of course. It's not "just me" that had issues with Bosch though. (Countless people, countless vehicles)
as far as a plug lasting 13yrs, how bout a plug that lasted 5yrs in a 2 stroke?! Yup, NGK, never checked or changed it and it didn't even need replaced, I just changed it because it was time IMO. (03 YZ250 that I raced all year round)
Bosch openly admits there's a problem with their plugs, like I said do some research, you'll be shocked I think.

- - - Updated - - -

NGK in everything. MSD wires. I run points and condenser 45,000 volt balasted coil. Platinum the points at a jeweler. (Freebie)

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong heat range and wrong gap is why people hate a plug or not 99 percent of the time. NGK will fire in conditions other plugs like champions won't, Bosch like a bit tighter gap and lean fuel mix. From decades of pull starting several 1970's crica Arctic Cat and kick starting 15 to 1 compression KX 250's

okay, off topic, a jeweler will put platinum on points?!?! How much?

I've had decades of bad luck with Champions, too.

Autolite 85 is a much more forgiving plug. Cheap, too.

I have used Champion J 11 Y for street and J 10 Y in a strip only motor with no problem. Currently running NGK in a 451 with 13 to 1 C/R, street/strip motor with no issues. It putts around town and works great! Lots of low end torque and strong top end. No plug fouling at all.

Nice on the two stroke and 5 years! A lot of times you can look at a two stroke and it will foul a plug ...lol

For a stock application Bosch Platinums are great but on the performance side they tend to foul out quick. I'm running NGK V-Power 3332's in my 440 with no problems. The Bosch lasted about a week in it till they fouled out.

I have 8 last sets of 8 -- J12Y Toledo, Ohio Champion spark plugs -- not the current RJ12YC Mexico - made spark plugs.... while I sold all my J11Y s last season @ Chryslers @ Carlisle -- I do believe I still have a few J10Y s and RJ10Y s for you extra - cold - heat range -- racing fanatics!!!!

Call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.... New York....

I think the autolite, champion, and ngk's are all great options. I use the champions personally. I would not use the Bosch plugs.

Auto Transport Service
Back