• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought another tool I'll only need once

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
6:21 AM
Reaction score
1-5/16 inch impact socket to remove the nut frim the pitman arm on Uncle Bill's Cuda.

Thanks to local NAPA in Moore I got it done today.

Seems like there's a whole thread about tools you have to buy but usually use them then put them away never to be used again. But I can't find it.

As I understand it, many parts stores will let you borrow a tool for free: especially if it's a "willy weirdy" single purpose or seldom used one. Some advertise this in their window or on their web site.

It's paid for itself. Through it in the drawer with the other one-time used tools instead of whining about a $15 socket. The cost of fuel hauling a one-time use rental would have cost me more.

I had to spend $30.00 to buy a 1/2" tube bender to form a $10.00 piece of tubing on my Vintage Air install.

I spent 85.00 on a one time use tool.. Ford 4.0l Timing chain tool kit.

s-l500.jpg

Put the time, and effort saved using that 1-stop tool, and that usually makes up for the cost.

As I understand it, many parts stores will let you borrow a tool for free: especially if it's a "willy weirdy" single purpose or seldom used one. Some advertise this in their window or on their web site.
Tried that, first. Ended up buying since I couldn't borrow.

i just bought this about a month ago 3700.00 weighs 1400lbs hoping to use it more than once, will be bolting up my 34 dodge frame on it, to keep it straight while doing massive welding on it.

20220729_213448.jpg

20220729_214545.jpg

I'll whine if I want to. :mob::mad::cursin:

They could design parts that can be repaired/replaced by a typical guy at home with commonly used/sold tools, in this case, a 1- 1/4" socket.

You're looking at it all wrong. You need to buy more cars to use those tools on! ruffcut

A business opportunity for somebody? Tool rental for those one use tools.

I spent about $1000 on installers for the front & rear seals on a Duramax, thus ensuring I will likely never do another one again! On the other hand, the almost $1000 I spent on Front/Rear covers, and Front/Rear seal alignment/install tools for GM LS engines has more than paid for itself.

I'll whine if I want to. :mob::mad::cursin:

They could design parts that can be repaired/replaced by a typical guy at home with commonly used/sold tools, in this case, a 1- 1/4" socket.
It's my tools, and I'll cry if I want to, cry if I want to, you would cry to if it happened to you. :)

I had to spend $30.00 to buy a 1/2" tube bender to form a $10.00 piece of tubing on my Vintage Air install.

I spend 20 minutes looking for (while cursing) a tool I need for about 30 seconds

Last edited:
I think I have used mine 3 times, so there's hope for the future.

IMG_2298.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back