• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought another tool I'll only need once

1-5/16 inch impact socket to remove the nut frim the pitman arm on Uncle Bill's Cuda.

Thanks to local NAPA in Moore I got it done today.

Seems like there's a whole thread about tools you have to buy but usually use them then put them away never to be used again. But I can't find it.
The upside is that socket is the same as 34mm.
You can now replace front wheel bearings on later model Impalas.

You guys should check this list out. These rent for free at auto zone
Just in case

I’ve saved a lot on one time use stuff that I just borrow on their rental tool program

012EC023-4053-4D62-B3D1-D3C8E07D0FDA.jpeg

5A66A433-2F96-4B94-820B-C8C81BDD9EDD.jpeg

I am a card carrying member of the “buy tools for single use” club.

I think you’re being completely reasonable and sane.

I have used the Auto Zone tool rental when away from home. One of something for one time use unless really expensive is not a big deal. I already have 2's, 3's and 4's of somethings. But there has to be a limit somewhere.

I look for "disposable" tools when I can, since I manage to destroy them anyway

I was lucky and inherited from my grandfather his old craftsman 3/4" drive socket set that range in 1/16" increments from 1" up to 2"....damn handy thing to have! But like everyone else I have a bunch of one time only tools...price you have to pay for the tool is generally a lot less then the labor charges at the local auto shop though. ;)

I forgot I also purchased a 54mm one inch drive socket and breaker bar. For a Mazda Rotary engine rear flywheel nut. They both collect dust now.

I made my own Quincy Compressor unloader tool..........I'll need it every 30 years or so

20210623_184234-jpg.jpg

You can't really whine about buying tools, it will always save you money in the long run, whether you are working on cars, plumbing, or carpentry, plus u r not having to pay some one and wait to get it done. It's always a win buying tools, just shop around for best price and quality.

A couple of years ago I went to the local O'REILLY's to borrow a compression tester because mine had crapped out. The girl behind the counter said sure thing. She hunted for 5 minutes after checking the computer that said they had one, but couldn't find it. She told me the computer says the store 5 miles away has one to if I want to go there. Sure just like the computer says you have one. Bought myself another one off the internet that came to my door. But I have used it more than once.

A couple of years ago I went to the local O'REILLY's to borrow a compression tester because mine had crapped out. The girl behind the counter said sure thing. She hunted for 5 minutes after checking the computer that said they had one, but couldn't find it. She told me the computer says the store 5 miles away has one to if I want to go there. Sure just like the computer says you have one. Bought myself another one off the internet that came to my door. But I have used it more than once.
A) Did the counter girl know what a compression tester is?
B) Did she see a picture of it so she could identify it by sight.

These are the kinda questions I think about in todays auto parts stores. ;)

I thought the same thing but was reassured after the manager couldn't find it either.

I spend 20 minutes looking for (while cursing) a tool I need for about 30 seconds
Yep,

Been there and done ( still do that quite a bit }
Even better ,,,I'll stand in front of my tool box for 5 minutes wondering why i walked up to it

TPMS Scanner.

Now if my garage was bigger, I think I could justify a tire changer and balancer.
Oh **** it, I should just buy new tires / wheels and have them mounted at the tire shop.
Hate not being able to do my own work!

Man I've tried for years to figure out how I could justify a tire changer and balancer so I could do my own tires. To much money to just use every couple of years. I bought one of those cheap Chineseium ones from HF. It does ok for 14-16" and my lawn mower tires but thats all. I finally found a tire shop that does fast work and they do great balancing so I'm ok with that.

Auto Transport Service
Back