• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought another tool I'll only need once

Being that I worked as an Auto Technician for 45 years I have lots of 1 time use tools. I have a fair bit of new tools in the packages I never used or will ever use. I think I’m getting to the point of selling them off. But shipping is a deal breaker now. There is a couple young guys interested but they brought their dads and the old men said forget it u don’t need Snap-On and Mac tools. And certainly not Snap -On tool boxes. Didn’t even want to talk any kind of a deal. Kim

I'll whine if I want to. :mob::mad::cursin:

They could design parts that can be repaired/replaced by a typical guy at home with commonly used/sold tools, in this case, a 1- 1/4" socket.
You mean everyone doesn’t own a 3/4 drive socket set, much less three of them?

Now they don't. I bet there's never been an automotive engineering department conversation about how to design an automobile so that repairs will be a snap
I miss the old hammer and screwdriver days with plenty of room to swing the hammer

You guys should check this list out. These rent for free at auto zone
Just in case

I’ve saved a lot on one time use stuff that I just borrow on their rental tool program

View attachment 1347834

View attachment 1347835
Last time I borrowed a ball joint removal tool from pep boys I didn't get it back in time now I own it. Used to be you have 30 days to return but this time it was 5 days I'll probably never use it again

1-5/16 inch impact socket to remove the nut frim the pitman arm on Uncle Bill's Cuda.

Thanks to local NAPA in Moore I got it done today.

Seems like there's a whole thread about tools you have to buy but usually use them then put them away never to be used again. But I can't find it.
You can also use that or the 1-1/4” socket on the pinion nut when the seal needs replacing.

Not sure what would pain me more the money for the tool or having to do the 4.0 timing chains.
I made a deal with my upholstery guy. I'd do his timing chain he do a full interior on a car for a friend. I ended up getting a 383 engine out of the deal. Wasn't too bad if you pull the engine. Not pulling it would have been a nightmare since FORD and their genius engineers decided to use one head for both sides and they put the passenger side timing chain in the rear of the engine.

Like many of us... I have some onetime use tools I've bought a couple of times. Found an Eastwood trim anvil in a box last week, while looking for the replacement I bought a year ago. Now I know where both are. :)

So what happened to the first one? Broke, dented up? Did you like it? All I ever used was a nail head in a vice and few scrap pieces of aluminum. Looks really nice though.
Oh I see. I had to reread your post. You misplaced it.
I lost a Craftsman 9/16 wrench once. Bought the replacement, then just nine years later I found the original. lol

I'd sooner collect good tools than have a bunch of parts laying around these days. You only have to use a lot of them once to pay for them.

You mean everyone doesn’t own a 3/4 drive socket set, much less three of them?
Man that reminds me when I started out wrenching a year after graduating from HS as a mechanic at the local JD dealer. I didn't have any money or tools so my uncle that lived up north in IL said he saw an add in the paper for a craftsman box full of tools for $100. He picked it up for me and brought it down the next time he visited. It had all kinds of wrenches, screw drivers, pliers and such. Mostly craftsman, but there were a few snap-on too. The big surprise was in the bottom drawer. There was a snap-on 3/4 ratchet, a couple of extensions and about a dozen sockets all snap-on. Hell the ratchet was worth more than all the rest together, and I still have it to this day. You just never know.

Auto Transport Service
Back