• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

brake cable- exhaust pipe clearance 1964 Dodge

Cornpatch MO

Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
My park brake cable "splitter" lays on top of my new exhaust pipes and will rattle . I had a muffler shop install the system and I don't think they knew how to make the clearance. Could some of you'uns post pics of how the pipes should run in relationship to the brake cables? .. Thanks for any help.................MO

The factory exhaust had a flat spot in the pipe where the brake cable crosses . I'm not sure how you would do this with exhaust installed

Here is a photo of my 64 Belvedere. The cables are under the TTI pipes

Attachments

• IMG_1428.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 177
Here is a photo of my 64 Belvedere. The cables are under the TTI pipes
Interesting. On my 65, the cable fits best overtop of my 3" TTI x-pipe.
Have not started the car yet so not certain if it will rattle. Will likely wrap it like Eric suggested.

Those in the photo are 2 1/2''. It had the factory single exhaust and the cable was below.Put it back the same way.

My exhaust manifolds are stock 68-69 HP 440. The pipe is 2 1/2" with X cross-over. The pipe bender did not get everything tucked up as close to the floor as I would have liked. My cable is above the pipe. Looks like TTI took this problem into account when they designed their system...............MO

On my 63 Dodge with headers and 2 1/2" exhaust (no X over) the cable is above the exhaust. The splitter is clear but one cable lays on the exhaust where it crosses going to the rear brake but no noticeable rattling.

My cables are over top as well. As far as rattling, I sure can't hear anything like rattling with all the commotion going on. Could yours maybe have some slack that you could adjust out?
image.jpg

On my 67 Camaro I had this problem. With mine though, it would touch the driveshaft at the yoke. I solved it with a spring. But it was irritating for sure.
image.jpg
In the pic you can see it just to the right of the tail housing. 100% fix.

Thanks all. Now that I know what others look like, I think I can solve the problem when the car gets back from the painter................................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back