• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust pipe clearance.

c.moo

Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
What is the exhaust pipe clearance between bottom of floor to top of pipe or what is recommended ? Thanks

Factory? Several inches. Custom exhaust? I’d say maybe 2” (?) 1” seems a little tight to me

Factory? Several inches. Custom exhaust? I’d say maybe 2” (?) 1” seems a little tight to me
Factory specs , Mopar had this figure out the right distance to put it from getting to hot inside and melting and blistering paint and undercoating and beating floor up and hanging down to low . Couldn't find specs on it . Yes , I could put it anywhere but like to know where factory had it . Thanks

Even with 3” pipes there’s an air gap of 2” or more between the floor pan and the exhaust.

IMG_4541.jpeg

The rear hangers at the mufflers will pretty much dictate the rear section and the header or down pipes will have the front.

What length did you cut your 2x4's for your wheel stands? I've been meaning to get some made.

That exhaust looks very clean. Nice install!

12” wide by 20” long, the wheel cribs made doing the exhaust much easier.

Factory specs , Mopar had this figure out the right distance to put it from getting to hot inside and melting and blistering paint and undercoating and beating floor up and hanging down to low . Couldn't find specs on it . Yes , I could put it anywhere but like to know where factory had it . Thanks
Then I think you'd have to measure those points off of a car of your same engine type with factory exhaust and measure it.

Thanks everyone for your input , going to go for 2 -2 1/2 inches somewhere around there should be fine , what I seen or heard is about right . Don't hear of anyone having problems with that space in between floor and pipe .

Auto Transport Service
Back