• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake light comes on when I press brakes

Purepony

Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
Brake light comes on while pressing brakes occasionally. What would make a brake light come on ?

So I washed my car and all was good until I drove it out for a 35 miles drive. i noticed the brake light would come on so then turn off, after driving for 25 miles I’m the light would come on when I pressed on the brakes so o pulled over and checked the reservoir and it seemed like it built pressure and started dripping fluid.

I took some out with a blue shop towel and that stopped the problem until the drive home then I noticed it coming on again. So now when I press the brakes hard it comes on.
What would cause the brake light go come on?

best way to approach this ?

One side of the brake system has air in it, or the shoes are set too far back from the drums. The light comes on via the differential pressure spool in the distribution block. Unless it's just your emergency brake vibrating and coming off the switch there. They both light up the same light.

One side of the brake system has air in it, or the shoes are set too far back from the drums. The light comes on via the differential pressure spool in the distribution block. Unless it's just your emergency brake vibrating and coming off the switch there. They both light up the same light.
It’s not the emergency brake light I already checked that. I actually hold it when I got the brakes to rule it out and it wasn’t that

hmm thanks for the input. What would be the best way to approach this? Should I raise the car and remove the wheels and start checking each wheel ? (Calipers, hoses, lines ? Pads? Etc ?

Check the wire that is on your proportioning valve. If you washed under the hood you may have blown it loose.

It’s not the emergency brake light I already checked that. I actually hold it when I got the brakes to rule it out and it wasn’t that

hmm thanks for the input. What would be the best way to approach this? Should I raise the car and remove the wheels and start checking each wheel ? (Calipers, hoses, lines ? Pads? Etc ?
Four wheel drum or front discs? If front discs I'd bet on rear shoes not set out far enough if you're sure the lines were all bled fully in the past.

Wi
Check the wire that is on your proportioning valve. If you washed under the hood you may have blown it loose.
re looks fine it’s a cpp kit the previous owner installed that was working before

Hmm
Four wheel drum or front discs? If front discs I'd bet on rear shoes not set out far enough if you're sure the lines were all bled fully in the past.
but would the rear drums have an issue even thought it hasn’t been moved since the car was purchased a year ago ? The only probable n was the car sat for a few weeks

Do you know if the rears have self adjusters on them and free to turn and work? If so go out and back up and slam on the brakes.. repeat a couple of times to bring the shoes out tighter to the drums or do it manually to make sure they're set correctly. If that doesn't work you have air in either front or back lines and if that's not it one side of master isn't holding pressure... and thinking of that you said your fluid level grew!??

That will not cause it. The wire needs to go to ground to trigger the light.

I did notice the switch for the brake pedal gets warm

I did notice the switch for the brake pedal gets warm
Totally different circuits. Unplug the wire at the proportioning valve. If the light stays out the problem is in your hydraulic part of the system.

Last edited:
247EB1A9-D46B-4534-B9F7-E1F638A97385.jpeg
B79E6518-4BEE-4BD0-AD3E-FC1EEC0CA876.jpeg
I found this would this have something ?
F0E57432-C4AA-4B09-81A9-89A3D6BA7A87.jpeg

Brake light comes on while pressing brakes occasionally. What would make a brake light come on ?
Mine come on every time I press the brake pedal in every one of my cars.

1 no, just no.jpg

is all that wetness gear oil or brake fluid?......either way, it needs to be dry

Oh boy. There's a couple problems there. The self adjuster lever is in the wrong spot, and there's no tension on the self adjuster cable. Looks like the outer axle seals are bad, maybe the bearings are worn, and the oil/grease has made it to the brake shoes. You need new shoes and check the star wheel to see if it's seized. Is there excessive play in the axle bearings? I've had that when I over packed the axle bearings once, the grease heats up and forces past the outer seal.

Auto Transport Service
Back