• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake light comes on when I press brakes

Oh boy. There's a couple problems there. The self adjuster lever is in the wrong spot, and there's no tension on the self adjuster cable. Looks like the outer axle seals are bad, maybe the bearings are worn, and the oil/grease has made it to the brake shoes. You need new shoes and check the star wheel to see if it's seized. Is there excessive play in the axle bearings? I've had that when I over packed the axle bearings once, the grease heats up and forces past the outer seal.
It appears the adjuster cable is too long (11" cable on 10" brakes?). That cable should be tight. The outer bearing cavity should be dry (it's just a dust seal).
Mike

It appears the adjuster cable is too long (11" cable on 10" brakes?). That cable should be tight. The outer bearing cavity should be dry (it's just a dust seal).
Mike
Maybe. But if you look at the adjuster it is jammed up over the top of the star wheel.

Oh boy. There's a couple problems there. The self adjuster lever is in the wrong spot, and there's no tension on the self adjuster cable. Looks like the outer axle seals are bad, maybe the bearings are worn, and the oil/grease has made it to the brake shoes. You need new shoes and check the star wheel to see if it's seized. Is there excessive play in the axle bearings? I've had that when I over packed the axle bearings once, the grease heats up and forces past the outer seal.
Thank you for the input
Do you think this could be a cause for my brake light coming on when I press the brakes?

Absolutely. As others said above, too much rear shoe travel will cause that. Looks like lots to go over on your axle.

Auto Transport Service
Back