• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake lights LH side only

Charger66

Local time
3:44 PM
Reaction score
I just bought a 66 Charger and most everything works except the RH brake lights. The tail lights all work, turn signals and LH brake lights work but not RH side. I replaced all the bulbs, cleaned the connections. Still looking for the culprit. I have the schematic, but figured someone out there has probably seen this before. Thanks

check your grounds.most common electrical problem with our cars.

Thanks, the grounds are good.

I understand through similar threads that the brake lights go through the turn signal switch. So pulled the steering wheel, and got to the switch. Cleaned the contacts there and got a better understanding how that works. Checked the brake lights occasionally to see if I was making any progress. Nothing. so, put it back together. Amazingly - the brake lights work now. Must have wiggled a wire or been close enough to the problem to get lucky. Not knowing exactly what made it work, I will keep an eye on them - hope it won't be an intermittent issue.

I take credit for luck all the time. Enjoy the great car. Post pictures.

I kept having that issue when I had my 67.It was intermittent and was a huge headache.Replaced the turn signal switch and that cured it.The only other lighting issue I had was with the front blinkers/running lights.It was the forward light harness connection.Unplug,clean,plug back in and it worked like a charm.

you might as well figure on picking up a new turn signal switch...it will fail again...

Bryan

I agree with Brian. I had this issue last year. I also suggest a quality part. I just ordered another turn signal switch because the cheaper one (80 bucks) is failing already. I purchased this one from Daniel Stern so hopefully it is a better piece.

Shawn

I agree with Brian. I had this issue last year. I also suggest a quality part. I just ordered another turn signal switch because the cheaper one (80 bucks) is failing already. I purchased this one from Daniel Stern so hopefully it is a better piece.

Shawn

Where ya been stranger? Anything new on the car or the Power Wagon?
Sorry for asking but who is Daniel Stern and does he have better quality switches? Don't need one...yet.

Reed

I have purchased 2 of the repro switches off ebay that had the non-stock 1/4" male spade connectors on the ends of the wires....must be going on 5+ years now for both switches...no problems here with failing issues

Bryan

Auto Transport Service
Back