• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake pedal Height compoared to gas pedal 63 dodge

black64

Local time
4:28 PM
Reaction score
I have 63 dodge 440 with an unknown power brake booster/master setup that has the brake pedal height where it is uncomfortable to drive. I need to see a picture of the pedal position of a stock 63 with power drum brakes to see what direction I need to go. Don't want to buy parts or modify existing system until I can see what a standard production setup looks like. Brakes work fine pedal is way to high.

When I was into Chevys I had that problem. I removed the rod that connects the brake pedal to the booster and shortened it allowing the pedal to swing down closer to the floor. That way I did not mess with any of the real working parts under the hood. When I wanted to go faster I switched to Mopar!

When I was into Chevys I had that problem. I removed the rod that connects the brake pedal to the booster and shortened it allowing the pedal to swing down closer to the floor. That way I did not mess with any of the real working parts under the hood. When I wanted to go faster I switched to Mopar!
This is some after market booster and master that needs some modification to position the pedal lower. I wanted to see a picture of stock brake pedal position to gas pedal position to get an ideal what I have to work with in modifying it to get the pedal lower.

I have a '63 Polara that I converted to power brakes using all the correct 1963 parts, my pedal is 4 3/8 inches off the carpet.

Joe Suchy is a good source of info and parts for these cars. He will be in the vendor area at Carlisle, by the car corral.

My car has manual brakes, but maybe the pic will help for reference. I used an adjustable rod.

IMG_0772.JPG

I have a '63 Polara that I converted to power brakes using all the correct 1963 parts, my pedal is 4 3/8 inches off the carpet.

Joe Suchy is a good source of info and parts for these cars. He will be in the vendor area at Carlisle, by the car corral.
Thanks for the info on the pedal height 4 3/4 inches off the floor would be good. I will check Joe's site out.
My car has manual brakes, but maybe the pic will help for reference. I used an adjustable rod.

View attachment 445191
Nice interior by the way. Your pedal looks closer to gas pedal from the photo than mine does. Mine right now sits higher than the ebrake pedal.
20161111_144851.jpg

Thanks for the info on the pedal height 4 3/4 inches off the floor would be good. I will check Joe's site out.

Nice interior by the way. Your pedal looks closer to gas pedal from the photo than mine does. Mine right now sits higher than the ebrake pedal. View attachment 445201
Was that a manual brake car? Possibly you'll have to change the brake pedal rod!

Was that a manual brake car? Possibly you'll have to change the brake pedal rod!
Not sure on the manual vs power originally it has an after market booster/master with z shaped rod that would need to be modified. I was looking at possibly going back to a stock setup and was looking for a comparison photo to see where the stock pedal height would be at. It currently has drum brakes all 4 corners with dual reservoir master/booster setup.

Auto Transport Service
Back